Myopia Uber Allis

As I noted earlier this week, the right-wing attack machine has turned their guns completely on Newsweek over the Koran story. Talk radio and cable news literally ground to a halt for past two days while they focused all their energies on painting Michael Isikoff as a conspirator in the fabled liberal media and blamed everything from global warming to Janet Jackson’s errant breast on the evil lefty pub. It is worth pointing out that this is the same Michael Isikoff who was a darling of the right during the two terms of Clinton’s presidency for his unwavering focus on Mr. Clintons genitalia. How does it feel to be Michael?

In any event, the important issue in my opinion remains the fact that while Newsweek indeed printed a retraction of portions of this story, they have not yet discredited the Koran desecration portion. Also, it was widely reported yesterday that the Newsweek did not check their sources before printing the story, this could not be further from the truth. If you read the retraction, which it is obvious that none of the cable or radio pundits – left or right – seemed to do, you will see the facts;

Their information came from a knowledgeable U.S. government source, and before deciding whether to publish it we approached two separate Defense Department officials for comment. One declined to give us a response; the other challenged another aspect of the story but did not dispute the Qur’an charge.

Read that again. The story was vetted by two Defense Department officials who both allowed the Koran charges to go out unchallenged. As a matter of fact, if you were to have listed to the head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Myers on Thursday of last week – prior to the right-wing propaganda machines ignition, you will see why;

“the violence that we saw in Jalalabad was not necessarily the result of the allegations about disrespect for the Koran.” He said General Eikenberry believed the violence stemmed from the country’s reconciliation process.

But, in true Bush White House form the Minister of Double-speak Scott McClelland gave the following comment;

“It’s puzzling that while Newsweek now acknowledges that they got the facts wrong, they refused to retract the story,” White House spokesman Scott McClellan said. “I think there’s a certain journalistic standard that should be met and in this instance it was not.”

“The report has had serious consequences,” McClellan said. “People have lost their lives. The image of the United States abroad has been damaged.”

Funny, where was this fabled “journalistic standard” when it was proven that the White House’s single unconfirmable source for their Iraqi WMD claims turned out to be a lying tool? Where was their retraction? I think George Galloway put it best yesterday when he said;

“I told the world that Iraq, contrary to your claims did not have weapons of mass destruction. I told the world, contrary to your claims, that Iraq had no connection to al-Qaeda. I told the world, contrary to your claims, that Iraq had no connection to the atrocity on 9/11 2001. I told the world, contrary to your claims, that the Iraqi people would resist a British and American invasion of their country and that the fall of Baghdad would not be the beginning of the end, but merely the end of the beginning.

“Senator, in everything I said about Iraq, I turned out to be right and you turned out to be wrong and 100,000 people paid with their lives; 1600 of them American soldiers sent to their deaths on a pack of lies; 15,000 of them wounded, many of them disabled forever on a pack of lies.

McClelland, you can take your journalistic standard and shove it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Connect with Facebook