The Friday Blackout: A National Boycott for Justice

Don’t buy anything Friday. NOTHING.

Warren Ballentine, a lawyer and talk show host syndicated to predominantly black radio stations, is calling for a national economic boycott this Friday as a way of protesting the injustices that have become an everyday feature of BushAmerica.

Ballentine has enlisted help from other radio personalities, including Michael Baisden and the Rev. Al Sharpton, whose shows also air on WAMJ.

He said the one-day boycott is designed to call attention to a series of national concerns, ranging from displays of nooses to wrongly jailed youth to the U.S. mortgage crisis.

“I’m a lawyer and I’m seeing a lot of people across the board suffer from the mortgage crisis,” he said. “I’m asking all Americans to participate, not just blacks. I’m asking people ? if you can ? don’t spend any money.”

People have been saying over and over, “But what can we do about any of this?” Well, you can do this. For ONE DAY, just don’t buy anything. Hit the bastards in the wallet – the only place any of these clowns ever feel pain. If, for ONE DAY, sales plummet in response to a call for a Justice Boycott, it will send a message they won’t dare ignore.

Come on, kids. For ONE LOUSY DAY, keep your money in your pocket. Flex the only muscle you’ve got left that still works and scare the bejeebus out of them.

It’s the least you can do for justice – and democracy.

41 Responses to “The Friday Blackout: A National Boycott for Justice”

1. eRobin says:

A real boycott is the only way we’ll get what we want. I’m in for Friday but I’m afraid it won’t work. Still, it’s worth doing – who knows what it will spawn – maybe the real thing.

2. lester says:

ot sorry-

medved singing comment from left fields tune!

An Open Letter to Rep. Ron Paul
    Posted by: Michael Medved at 6:30 PM
    Dear Congressman Paul:

Your Presidential campaign has drawn the enthusiastic support of an imposing collection of Neo-Nazis, White Supremacists, Holocaust Deniers, 9/11 “Truthers” and other paranoid and discredited conspiracists.

Do you welcome- or repudiate – the support of such factions?

More specifically, your columns have been featured for several years in the American Free Press –a publication of the nation’s leading Holocaust Denier and anti-Semitic agitator, Willis Carto. His book club even recommends works that glorify the Nazi SS, and glowingly describe the “comforts and amenities” provided for inmates of Auschwitz.

Have your columns appeared in the American Free Press with your knowledge and approval?

As a Presidential candidate, will you now disassociate yourself, clearly and publicly, from the poisonous propaganda promoted in such publications?

As a guest on my syndicated radio show, you answered my questions directly and fearlessly.

Will you now answer these pressing questions, and eliminate all associations between your campaign and some of the most loathsome fringe groups in American society?

Along with my listeners (and many of your own supporters), I eagerly await your response.

Respectfully, Michael Medved

and his friend mattbastard at comments from leftfield!!

3. Jeff T in MPLS says:

Mr. Ballentine and Rev. Sharpton are morons. What a great way to punish businesses that do business with blacks than to withhold your money for the day.

What affect will the blackout have on the racists and lawbreakers? How will this contribute to solving the problem? It won’t, nor was it ever designed to do this.

This is a political ploy of hopefulness from Rev. Sharpton (has he learned yet that the Bible condemns both dishonesty and deception?) to test the economic power and solidarity of the black voting block. How many black people will actually listen to this nonsense and participate. He is just taking a temperature for, I suspect, a future political campaign IF he has the support.

Wake up Black America. Sharpton will use you just like he has and will use the media to CREATE support for his own gains.

4. Tony says:

Will this mean that there will be less guns on the street on friday if blacks decide not to spend money. And what about all the drug dealers? How will they support diz family if hes cants makes moniez?

5. Peter says:

This is retarded! I mean come on, who are you fooling? This is like a stupid Gas boycott. So you dont buy anything on Friday, guess what? You will be right out there on Saturday buying what you didnt buy on Friday. The organizers and sheep following this boycott are plain dumb!!!!!! Unless you dont ever plan on buying EVER AGAIN it wont work, because they all know you have to eventually.

6. Phillipe says:

This is total crap, why is it always about black people. I have an idea be the better person and just take down the ropes. Your going to tell only one part of america to not buy anything, Big f’ing deal! There are chinese, mexican, french, americans and lots of other cultures here other then “black” people. So, who cares if black people don’t big an f’ing thing everybody else will and your dumb ass will be left out in the cold.

7. Mick Arran says:

You’re missing the point, Peter. It isn’t about about immediate results, it’s a show of strength. You could make the same argument about any boycott, yet they work. Agribusiness learned that the hard way in the 60’s. They said what you said, so the boycotts against grapes and lettuce became permanent and cost them $$$millions$$$ in lost revenues. That’s why farmworkers are organized now.

This is about what could happen if people don’t wake up. This is “We’re not going to take it any more and you better listen or we’ll hurt you where you hate it most.”

That’s a message worth sending, it seems to me.

8. Mick Arran says:

Hmm. Jeff and Phillippe seem particularly frightened of this. I wonder why? If it doesn’t mean anything, why are y’all so po’d?

9. dave says:

Sharpton needs to shut up and sit down. Why arent people listening – because he bitches and moans about every little thing. The 17 yr old scandal, isnt because he’s black, but because theres a witch hunt out for sexual crimes, black and white.

He sounds more and more like Bin Laden yelling for “death for the infidels”. What is he going to do next? fly planes into buildings?

Al just shut the f*ck up !

10. Mick Arran says:

I note the wingnuts all key on Al Sharpton. Yet it wasn’t his idea, it was Ballantine’s. Sharpton joined when asked, so why go after him instead of Warren? Hmm? Easier target, perhaps? Wingnuts all prefer easy targets, it seems. Lack of courage, maybe. Or sense.

11. Kraus says:

Peter is correct!

12. Jefferson says:

White people should be joining in this boycott/spending money in Black owned businesses Friday. We have been way too silent about continuing racism in this country for way too long and in the tradition of the civil rights movement, white people who care about ending racism need to stand alongside intiatives from Black communities.

13. Peter says:

Mick,
    I know what the point of the boycott is and means, but it is no good because a lengthy boycott would and could never happen. Black people are still going to need food, clothing, transportation, shelter etc. Businesses know that they will just come back because there isnt anywhere to go. You cant have a sustained boycott by saying “we are going to boycott buying necessaties!”. If you want an effective boycott then boycott certain markets. for example, boycott buying crap from best buy, JC Penny, Macys, and FORD and close all Bank Of American accounts. Then it would be effective. Boycotting one day is as effective as a gasoline boycott. And we all know how effective that was. Yup, we are still addicted to GAS!!!

14. Concerned says:

Let’s see…Black crime is at all time high, gangs are rampant in black neighborhoods, and 70 percent of black babies are born out of wedlock… So to combat this, you suggest a national boycott of white businesses… Do you see the problem here? As much as you like to , you can’t always blame white people and racism for everything. Lets clean our own house first.

15. james says:

I do not deny that hatred and racism exist in America. It also exists in every other country in the world and pretty much always has. I wonder however that people such as Ballantine and Sharptin do not promote racism rather than diminish it. By always focusing on seperating races and saying “give us more” ” this is unfair” “woe as me” , why not try and promote being an American. With every other race on earth represented here, you do not see everyone else requesting to be singled out and called by an
    “ancesteral home -American”. “Seems like a mouthful to call me French, German,Dutch, Hispanic American”. I would rather be included as an American! Promote love and peace and quit focusing on single issues such as “he said-she said”. Use your populatrity for actual community gain and not self gain please!

16. Peter says:

James,
    How true, I have never been to Africa nor was I born there so why should I call myself an african american? I am American!

17. Amy says:

I think that things have been taken too far by people like Al Sharpton. Genarlow Wilson was not found guilty because he was black, he was found guilty because of what he did at the time. I am glad that justice was finally done and he has been released, but it was not a “hate for blacks” issue that put him in jail. And if the Jena 6 had been reversed, if it had been 6 white guys that beat up a black guy, Al Sharpton would have called for the death penalty for every one of them. He does not want equality. I am all for Blacks being equals to everyone else, I think everyone should be treated equal, and unfortunately, there are still very close-minded people who will never think that way. But, anymore, black people don’t want to be equal to white people, they want to be above us. They have black collages, black award shows, black scholarship funds. If we had those for just white people in this day and age, we would be considered racist and close-minded. I think that is why the intolerance that use to exist years and years and years ago is coming back. I’m sorry that there use to be slaves, but I didn’t enslave anyone, and this generation of blacks weren’t enslaved, so why does this generation, and the generations to come need to pay for something that they had no part in?

18. Kraus says:

The U.S. population is 240 million whites, 37 million negroes. IGuess who counts and who doesn’t.

19. kelley says:

You know what this boycott will prove? Absolutely nothing. Are we protesting the black market as well? Are we protesting independant sellers in downtown areas that steal merchandise and sell it? I dont think so. Lets face it, most of the money that wont be spent is welfare money.
    I have a better idea. Why doesnt the government, who 50% of blacks live off, hold one days pay back from their welfare checks. Lets see how well that works for the economy.

20. Kraus says:

What?! You mean make them earn their keep, be responsible for themselves.

Oh Kelley!

You are such a trouble maker, so politically incorrect, such a racist…I like you.

21. Freechoice says:

Cool – I have lots of shopping to do and it sounds like Friday will be the best day to go! I won’t have to worry about thugs in droopy britches wearing hoodies playing nasty music out loud, talking filthy in front of me, or stealing my car at the mall!

Please – continue with your boycott!!!

22. Kraus says:

Hey folks, I just came up with another good idea. Kelley does this to me you know.

Since the darkies aren’t shopping tomorrow, the checkout lines at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Piggly-Wiggly, etc. will be short. So I’m going to shop twice the amount. Waiting in a short line with two carts can’t be any worse than one cart in a long line with those kind holding up progress. And our economy won’t be hurt.

23. Kraus says:

Freechoice must have finished typing when I started mine.

24. Joe says:

Black on white crime, especially violent crimes, far outnumbers white on black crime, yet garnishes 10 times the media coverage because it SELLS. 300 million Americans, and 4 injustices committed against blacks is going to justify a ridiculous ineffective boycott. I see 4 violent crimes committed nightly on the local news by blacks against business establishments and/or against white individuals. What would happen if whites and other ethnic groups decided to boycott black businesses because we’re tired of all the crime and tired of supporting the growing numbers on welfare? It would crush black America. Yet we would never do this, nor should we. I continue to be amazed at the narrow mindedness of blacks in American society. There really truly needs to be an awakening.

25. Stan Arayu says:

Quick story:
    My best friend graduated top of his class, with honors, and as the president of the “hospital administrator’s association – local chapter.” This guy knows business, he knows hospitals, and he knows numbers. A truly well-spoken individual with a heart of gold. He applies for a position with a hospital in Oklahoma City. It comes down to two candidates: my friend (who is white) and a woman (who is black). It just so happens that my friend knows this lady from school. She does not have as good of grades, she does not have his experience, and she never participated in any of these organizations, so he is feeling confident about getting the position…yet, he didn’t. Why? As it turns out, equal opportunity numbers.

Absolute reverse discrimination. But, hey, if it helps minorities get jobs (however unqualified), good. If I were a minority, I would be angry about this. If you want to fight racism, encourage education. Focus on English, Math, Science, Communication, and Foreign Languages. Teach them to be persistent and dynamic in their approaches to education. Don’t hold them to equal opportunity numbers!!!!

As for this boycott…I agree with the common belief that this will hurt, rather than help. Americans should be Americans. Be proud of heritage, but unite behind the red, white, and blue. This boycott will only produce more segregation.

26. Peter says:

wow! I dont know how seriously to take you guys. LOL As a black man I can say that I do not agree with Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, who have done more to hurt any gains made in civil rights then to help. I cant stand those arrogant pricks. Bill Cosby comes out and tries to wake up the black community and he is blasted for ‘airing their dirty laundry’ Bill Cosby hit the issue right on the head, the overall black community needs to wake up. All the issues in the black community is because of the black community. Going to jail is not an embarasment to the family it is a badge of honor. I dont wear droopy pants, I dont have bling, I speak english not ebonics, I have a great job making good money and I listen to pop, rock, oldies and 80’s music, no rap on my iPod. There are others like me, so please, dont be quick to judge.

27. james says:

Well said Stan, I would rather know the person who was helping me in the medical field was qualified because of knowledge and experience irregardless of ethnicity. A thought that comes to mind from (REV) Sharpten who like to point out faults of others should be well known to him from the bible…””Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?” Perhaps taking some accountability around you can produce some results. If my family, firends, and community had issues I would address those first as not to look hypocritical!

28. james says:

Peter, I know there are others like you and wholeheartedly support those. Sadly you are not the more vocal ones and are squashed by those who are supposedly fighting for your rights.

29. Kraus says:

Peter,

We don’t see and hear your type as much as we see and hear those type. And what’s with the over-sized rims?

30. Amy says:

I agree with James!

Unfortunately, the media and the majority of people pay attention to the loud, outrageous figures and ideas rather than the level-headed people like Peter.

31. robert says:

How come it is the Blacks who are doing all the whining, led by self serviong wanna-be’s, whose unscrupulous machinations are just exascerbating racism. You don’t hear other minorities howling, all you hear is the vibrations and results of their hard, diligent work. They are the ones who America should be proud of!

32. Afripino says:

Does anyone know if Warren Ballentine is licensed to practice law? I’ve not read anything that indicates that he is a member of a state bar.

If you visit his website, it does not mention anything about the states in which he is authorized to practice law. See http://www.truthfighter.com/Default.aspx. On his own website, he does not provide a telephone number or examples of cases in which he has been involved. Based on my short attempt to Google his background, I’m inclined to believe that Mr. Ballentine may be engaging in the unauthorized practice of law. If so, he is perpetrating a fraud. More importantly, it may be another example of black folks being misled by a black man. I’m going to do more digging on this one. I’m hoping I’m wrong.

33. Kevin says:

I would love to see the day when we have the courage to focus on the real self-destructive issues that are destroying black familes and neighborhoods. This boycott is just the latest cry of black victimhood. Let’s stop focusing on what the white establishment is doing to us and start focusing on what we’re doing to ourselves and correcting those issues. We’ll be better of by doing so.

34. Smileee34 says:

Attn: Kraus, Peter, Joe:

All your postings,and those similar to yours, prove is that racism is alive and well in America today. Thugs?welfare checks?…..FYI there are more whites and illegals getting entitlements than blacks!

35. Smileee34 says:

OOps…didnt mean to include Peter in my last post….but, Peter, I dont think there would be anything wrong with havin rap on ur IPOD…I dont like any type of music that degrades women or glamorizes prison, but that’s not all rap, so, don’t generalize.

36. Homer says:

Hopefully they will boycott committing crimes tomorrow too.

37. Coleman says:

Warren i have listened to your show brother and your right!!! God is calling you to do this. I have a 42 usc filed in district court in Georga because of the injustice of lack of due process, unjust fair trials and wrongful incarceration done by the system. If you ever need VALID proof e-mail me at facttts@yahoo.com

38. Sam says:

Black people here I love you, but I despise Al Sharpton. This man is a bigger racist than any white person I have encountered. I am white, but in my personal opinion he only hurts the African Americans cause. If you want to devote a day to black out anything let it be Al Sharpton, hey try more than a day, maybe an eternity.

39. Amalia says:

What happened to the boycott????Micheal Baisden did not mention it all after you guys spoke about. I listened to him all day 11/2 and he never once mentioned it. I thought it was called off

40. THE NEW WORLD ORDER is the real problem.

The have already TAKEN OVER the government and now going for the world.

We can spend the rest of our lives marching & protesting but until we understand who

the real criminals are pulling the strings behind this madness we waste valuable TIME.

41. Madam Thang says:

Kelly, you must forgot there are more whites on welfare than black. Every time you go to the grocery store your big fat nasty white women in the store with two baskets and using a food stamp card. Wake up who died and made your kind supreme. That is when you die you have to be buried fast because you turn black I mean BLACK. One thing about that it’s not anything that you can do about it. So in reality you are black just half baked. Don’t you ever forget that. Oh don’t forget how many times do you read the paper, lissten to the news and you done kill your babies and try to put it on the blacks. Your kind are full of devil. I thank God for Rev. Al Sharpton, Warren Ballantine, Michael Basein and all the BLACK CIVIL RIGHTS LEADERS. Are you afraid of the Blacks. All sex crimes comes from the whites. You are the ones who rape your children, go with your sisters and brothers. Can’t even send your children to school in peace, because the white teachers will have sex with them and then run away with your children. Now before you whites keep on putting down the Blacks look in the mirror first.