Americans Have Been Saved From Terrorist Scarves

Dunkin’ Donuts has decided to take the path of least resistance:

Does Dunkin’ Donuts really think its customers could mistake Rachael Ray for a terrorist sympathizer? The Canton-based company has abruptly canceled an ad in which the domestic diva wears a scarf that looks like a keffiyeh, a traditional headdress worn by Arab men.

Some observers, including ultra-conservative Fox News commentator Michelle Malkin, were so incensed by the ad that there was even talk of a Dunkin’ Donuts boycott.

‘‘The keffiyeh, for the clueless, is the traditional scarf of Arab men that has come to symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad,’’ Malkin yowls in her syndicated column.

‘‘Popularized by Yasser Arafat and a regular adornment of Muslim terrorists appearing in beheading and hostage-taking videos, the apparel has been mainstreamed by both ignorant and not-so-ignorant fashion designers, celebrities, and left-wing icons.’’

The company at first pooh-poohed the complaints, claiming the black-and-white wrap was not a keffiyeh. But the right-wing drumbeat on the blogosphere continued and by yesterday, Dunkin’ Donuts decided it’d be easier just to yank the ad.

James Joyner tries to reason with the opponents of “donut terrorism”:

It’s true that wearing the keffiyah as a fashion symbol has been a recurring trend among Palestinian sympathizers and various hipsters over the years. But Ray’s scarf doesn’t look anything like Yasser Arafat’s.

Further, the terrorists wear headdresses because that’s how men throughout the Middle East and North Africa dress. It’s a protective covering for the head in brutally hot climates. In any case, none of them are paisley.

[…]

But, just to be safe, we should assume that every white chick wearing a scarf is a terrorist or terrorist sympathizer. Ray’s lucky her ad’s just been canceled and she hasn’t been hauled off to Gitmo for questioning.

Here is another laugh-out-loud funny commentary from Dr. Steven Taylor:

There is a Monty Python bit (and it may have been an album-only1 one), in which a fellow is ranting on about communists everywhere. He can’t take a bath without six or seven communists jumping in with him and Koysgin was in the kitchen eating his wife’s jam. Brehznev may have been in their with him as well, I can’t recall and I cannot find a transcript of the thing online (curse you Google!). I do distinctly recall, however, that there were communists peeping out his wife’s blouse at him.

At any rate, I think of this bit practically every time I have an encounter with the paranoid rantings of Michelle Malkin. Examples include seeing capitulation to terrorists by the UN because they used Legos in a poster. Then she sees the Reconquista because the Texas Rangers wore “Los Rangers” jerseys on Cinco de Mayo a few years ago.2

Now she is seeing terrorist capitulation because Rachael Ray wore a black and white scarf in a Dunkin’ Donuts ad. No, seriously. Malkin doesn’t see a black and white scarf, she sees “hate couture” and “jihadi chic.” …

Dr. Taylor titles his post, “Terrorists Are in the Kitchen Eating My Wife’s Jam.” I’m falling off my chair!

Malkin herself is quite pleased by Dunkin’ Donuts’ decision to pull the ad:

… ‘‘It’s refreshing to see an American company show sensitivity to the concerns of Americans opposed to Islamic jihad and its apologists.’’

Let’s hope that Malkin has informed the milsupply places, because right now they are putting our men and women in uniform in a very compromising position.

10 Responses to “Americans Have Been Saved From Terrorist Scarves”

1. Chief says:

Whoopi was talking about this on The View this morning. Unfortunately, I can’t boycott Dunkin’ Donuts cuz I haven’t seen one since 1973 when I left Massachusetts.

Wow, you poor deprived person. You should come to New Jersey. There are at least half a dozen Dunkin’ Donuts within a five minute drive of me.

3. skippy says:

dunkin’ donuts is mass producing their coffee in supermarkets. a letter saying you will boycott their products is effective, no matter what part of the country you are in.

details here: time to stop buying the donuts!

4. Chief says:

I call donuts “fat pills.” ; – )

5. Terry Woodburn says:

It’s official. The right wing nut case contingent has officially lost their minds. And Dunkin Donuts was all too happy to shrivel in fear and pull the ad instead of having the fortitude to tell the loonies they should pay that long overdue visit to a psychological caregiver.

6. betty says:

While I agree this is ridiculous because her scarf looks simply like a scarf, I’d like to play the devil’s advocate. We must remember symbols have always represented an important part of all cultures throughout time. Had Rachel Ray worn a swastika arm band or white hood the world would have been appalled. I am amazed that certain forms of dress have become en vogue. As an expatriate from the U.S. it disturbs me that we can be so insensitive especially after 911 and I can only attribute this to ignorance. For many of us living elsewhere in the world, we see up close what these symbols represent. These organizations and governments actively support the suppression of women, the banning of freedom of religion and speech, and the tacit acceptance of violence against innocent human beings all in the name of a cause or belief. Have we become so P.C. that we refuse to tell the truth or are we somehow hoping that our own human/democratic values are also shared by all? Read, listen and observe. Actions always speak louder than words. Remember, symbols are powerful messages!

7. Timothy says:

2008–“It’s just a scarf. It doesn’t mean anything.”
    1938–“It’s just a swastika . . . “

8. Ogechi says:

k, tim, had your lame excuse for an analogy included a year AFTER the 2nd World War, it would’ve made a little more sense. But at the same time, it still would’ve FAILED to get across any opinion you’re attempting to convey because you seem to be implying that Rachel Ray is some sort of subversive, underground terrorist.

Did seeing her in that scarf make you think “Damn, I wanna donut real bad, but I can’t get over my insatiable urge to kill all American infidels IN THE NAME OF ALLAH!!!”

Yeah, conservatives… this is the kind bs that makes you look like fools.

9. Bill says:

Her scarf looks like a scarf because it is a scarf.
    It does not bear any resemblance ot a keffiyah.