Cindy McCain Is a Ditz

I do hope it’s not too terribly sexist of me to say that; I can’t help myself. She thinks that Sarah Palin is experienced in national security and foreign policy because she lives in Alaska, and Alaska is close to Russia (emphasis in original):

STEPHANOPOULOS: But she has no national security experience.

McCAIN: You know, the experience that she comes from is what she’s done in government, and remember, Alaska is the closest part of our continent to Russia. It’s not as if she doesn’t understand what’s at stake here.

Think Progress has the video. Don’t miss it.

7 Responses to “Cindy McCain Is a Ditz”

1. Christopher says:

from this website blog:

“Alaska is the first line of defense in our missile interceptor defense system. The 49th Missile Defense Battalion of the Alaska National Guard is the unit that protects the entire nation from ballistic missile attacks. It’s on permanent active duty, unlike other Guard units.

As governor of Alaska, Palin is briefed on highly classified military issues, homeland security, and counterterrorism. Her exposure to classified material may rival even Biden’s.

She’s also the commander in chief of the Alaska State Defense Force (ASDF), a federally recognized militia incorporated into Homeland Security’s counterterrorism plans.

Palin is privy to military and intelligence secrets that are vital to the entire country’s defense. Given Alaska’s proximity to Russia, she may have security clearances we don’t even know about.”

Christopher, the article that blackfive linked to doesn’t even say what they quoted it as saying — go check if you think I’m wrong. I double checked and I have no clue where they got those paragraphs from.

Meanwhile, the AP just interviewed the general of the Alaska National Guard, and his statements completely contradict what Blackfive has published:

Maj. Gen. Craig Campbell, adjutant general of the Alaska National Guard, considers Palin “extremely responsive and smart” and says she is in charge when it comes to in-state services, such as emergencies and natural disasters where the National Guard is the first responder.

But, in an interview with The Associated Press on Sunday, he said he and Palin play no role in national defense activities, even when they involve the Alaska National Guard. The entire operation is under federal control, and the governor is not briefed on situations.

Sounds like Blackfive needs to recheck its sources.

Also, let me just say that I can’t believe I have to debunk shit like this. Saying any governor has foreign policy experience from 18 months in office is so ridiculously laughable that it’s not even worthy of debate. The fact that the right has succeeded in making this a topic of debate about Palin, all while scandals concerning her governorship stir but seemingly go unnoticed, only goes to show the anti-intellectual level that political debate has stooped to. Bottom line: Palin has absolutely no foreign police experience, next question please.

I did some further checking into the paragraphs Blackfive quoted — they were written in an email to Jonah Goldberg. The emailer’s name is, uhm, Jimbo.

I think I’ll take the word of the Alaska National Guard’s general over a “Jimbo”.

Tas, Jimbo IS Blackfive. If the quote came from him, he quoted himself.

5. George Morris says:

I keep seeing all this rhetoric and flame fanning over Sarah Palin’s experience, or as many on the left are touting, “inexperience” in her running for the VP position.
    What I have not seen in reporting from either side of the aisle is it OK that Jimmy Carter (D-GA), Ronald Reagan (R-CA), Bill Clinton (D-AR) and George Bush (R-TX) all went from being govenors from their states direct to the White House as the Presidents of this country. So it is really a gender thing. It’s OK for a man but a woman can’t handle being a Vice President.

6. Taylor says:

I would rather have Palin this this Ditz that is in there he has NO foreign policy experience and it showes.

What a ditz Obama is dangerous

Hell yes Palin would be much better.