Who is the Mother of Trig Paxon Van Palin?

See Update below.

If it’s Sarah Palin, why is she distinctly not pregnant in a photograph which was apparently taken on Super Tuesday, which is in February, when, as Jazz Shaw points out, Palin would have been about six months along in her pregnancy?

Keep in mind, before we wind up the Friday night activities in Blogistan, that this is still only ten hours after the announcement of Sarah Palin as John McCain’s VP announcement caught so many of us flat-footed. In ten hours, though, the hits keep on coming. Let’s take a quick look at a few more.

The first one, and possibly the most tawdry of the bunch, came via several e-mails which arrived after the announcement here at Jazz Headquarters. Check out this picture of Sarah Palin from Super Tuesday this year.

It’s a nice shot, but according to at least once source it was taken on Super Tuesday. That’s in February. At that point, Palin should have been six months pregnant with her last child. It does make me wonder if the following will turn into a story.

…the oldest girl is rumored to have actually been the one who had the last baby, the one with Down’s Syndrome. She was taken out of school the last 4 or 5 months of her mother’s pregnancy.

On March 5th, 2008 Alaska’s Republican Governor, Sarah Palin, announced to the media that she was 7 months pregnant with her 5th child. She is currently 44.

Palin’s daughter Bristol is 16 and attends an Anchorage high school. Students who have attended class with her report that she has been out of school for months, claiming a prolonged case of mono.

Palin does not appear pregnant in any recent photographs. The announcement came as quite a shock to people who had worked closely with her, and have been quoted as saying that she did not appear pregnant whatsoever during the prior 7 months. While this is debatable, you can judge for yourself here: http://gov.state.ak.us/photos.php

(Ed Note: That link has since died since we first looked at it. The pictures were removed today.)

IF there is anything to this story, there are two issues as I see them. First, and most obvious, is the honesty issue. Why would Palin have lied about who the mother was? Which leads to the second issue: If Bristol Palin IS the mother, how does she feel about all this? If the story is true, and Sarah Palin lied to spare her daughter embarrassment or emotional pain, what does that say about how Bristol Palin felt about the pregnancy itself?

The fact that the photographs of Sarah Palin at a time when she would have appeared to be pregnant, if she really was, were taken down and the link killed, is a little odd if there’s nothing to the story.

UPDATE: Blogtopia is starting to pick up on this story. I’ll keep checking Memeorandum to see how the discussion goes.

UPDATE #2: Obama’s official response.

131 Responses to “Who is the Mother of Trig Paxon Van Palin?”

It gets weirder. It’s reported that her water broke while she was at a conference in Texas, where afterwards she proceeded to give a half hour speech then fly home to give birth in Alaska. I’m not kidding:

Just yesterday, Palin was in Texas at a forum on energy with Texas Gov. Rick Perry and executives from four other states. […]

The governor’s water broke during the energy conference but she stayed and gave a 30-minute speech before boarding an Alaska Airlines plane home to deliver the baby.

I just check Alaska Airlines website to see how long a flight from Austin to Anchorage takes: 11-12 hours.

As a friend and mother I’m talking with just told me, babies tend to come out faster with each one you’ve had. This would have been the governor’s fifth. So her water breaks in Texas, where she proceeds to give a speech, then make a 11-12 flight home to deliver the baby in Alaska? Say wha?

2. Watts D. Matter says:

Listen.

Palin wasn’t pregnant. Look at this video and become a media sensation, before they take it down. Make copies.

Interesting.. But, since the burden of proof is paramount here, I have to point out that while the show was posted on Feb. 20, there is nothing indicating when it was actually taped. So while Feb. 20 would mean that Gov. Palin was 6 months pregnant, we can’t say she was six months pregnant for this show. It could have been taped last year and posted later for all we know,

4. uhmmm says:

She could be pregnant in that video and hiding it. Need better proof, period. Keep working though.

5. Craig says:

This is SHAMEFUL behavior from all the people who were rightly appalled at the vicious, irresponsible attacks on Obama and whether he is a Muslim, etc.

Surely there will be plenty of red meat to chew on regarding Palin’s record and actual qualifications to lead, that this kind of cesspool-diving is unnecessary. The political blogosphere (for both parties) is as morally bankrupt and broken as any political administration could ever try to be.

6. mom of three says:

Since when are women in their last trimester permitted to fly, unless cleared by a doctor?

I thought you couldn’t board a plane to anywhere from seven months on, unless she had specific doctor’s clearance. And she flew only six weeks before her due date? She took a chance that at her advanced age and with her fifth pregnancy (assuming she has not aborted or miscarried in the past) that nothing would happen during the last six weeks?

That’s just reckless and shows really poor judgement.

Something is definitely fishy here…..

7. Trish says:

I don’t know, could be her fitness level but no matter how you slice it, that late in pregnancy you’re usually short of breath. She really doesn’t look pregnant here. Then again, you’d need to confirm when this was filmed. I’m also a mom of 3, my 2nd and 3rd bellies were much larger than the first. Then again, maybe she just has great abs?

mom of three — It just keeps getting more interesting, doesn’t it? I’ve talked with a mother who said that skinny figure at six months is still possible, depending on the person. But everything else aboutt this matter.. The water breaking in Texas, the flight back, being cleared for a flight in general… All eyebrow raisers.

9. Paul says:

What will it be then??

Sarah Palin Lied! A Child Survived!

Errr wait……

10. AAngela says:

My best friend wore her regular, non-maternity jeans up until her 8th month, and she also wore them home from the hospital.

This is stupid.

11. Alex Epstein says:

This is unsubstantiated trash.

Until there is some serious evidence — birth certificates, an obstetrician speaking out — this is just a thoroughly despicable rumor.

A rumor which enables the right wing to ignore the very valid problems with Sarah Palin and smear all attacks on her as lies and insinuations.

12. NancyPants says:

What is wrong with you? Do you really think it’s ok to start rumors like this about a 17 year old child?

Maybe you’ll get lucky and she’ll kill herself.

I wonder if Palin realizes what she’s just done to her kids.

13. Colleen says:

Nancypants — the rumor’s been around for awhile, it’s just getting broader airplay now that she’s on the national stage.

Here’s my question. Well, two actually.

1) Was this fifth pregnancy planned? If not, why the h*** not? Was she just trying to prove some misbegotten point that she could run a state and breast feed at the same time?

2) If she knew, because of prenatal testing (most likely amnio), that she was carrying a child with Down’s — who are at very high risk for heart defects, AND was also at high risk for premature labor given her age — what in her right mind would have her accepting speaking engagements half a day BY AIR from her home? And then FLYING BACK when she was in labor, instead of going to the best damn high-risk L&D hospital where she was?

If these are the kinds of decisions she makes in regards to the health of her baby in uetero, I sure as h*** don’t want her making any kind of decisions on behalf of my kids up on the Hill.

14. bror says:

Well I did some google image searches and found some interesting things …
    I found 2 pics from March. One has been scrubbed and the other is still up.

This is still up:

This is no longer available even tho the holding page is there.

I’m no OBGYN, but I have a hard time believing that she is pregnant in either photo.
    News stories say she gave birth at 6:30 AM on 18Apr08 and that labor started when she was in TX at the Republican Governors Association convention. 10 – 11 hour flight from TX to AK. Would any airline in the world allow a woman who’s water broke to fly??

15. bror says:

Here is a link to The Anchorage Daily News reporting the story of the birth

16. numi says:

Like the 16-year-old gymnasts in China, this ain’t six months pregnant.

17. Mantari Damacy says:

Why? What is the motivation? ANSWER: Medical costs. If through early diagnosis, you know that you’ve got a baby with Down’s Syndrome, that means a lifetime of care will likely be involved. What would a smart, politically connected Republican do in this case?

I think it is clear. She claimed the child as her own in order to take on the financial responsibility for her daugher, who clearly would not be able to provide adequately for the child.

I think we have fraud, folks.

Add to all of this that she returned to her office three days later. (That fact that was added into her Wikipedia entry just a day before her nomination became known.) Yeah, a 44 year old mother with a down syndrome baby makes a very quick recovery, returns to office, and brags about it.

Oh boy. This woman is toast.

“Three days after giving birth, Palin returned to work in her Anchorage office, accompanied by Trig and her husband.”

18. moinrva says:

If she chose to raise her daughter’s child, which I am willing to believe is true, that’s her ‘choice.’ However, she has made this a campaign issue by thrusting that poor child in front of every camera possible to illustrate, ‘oh look how pro-life I am, I even gave birth to a disabled baby when I didn’t need to.’
    The McCains have a mentally disabled daughter as well, but they have the decency to care about her well-being enough to not whore her out for political gain. If the rumor proves to be true, Sarah Palin made this fair game by using her family as one of her only qualifications for VP

19. chris says:

This report has Palin posing for Vogue magazine on December 12, 2007 (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/governor-poses-for-vogue/2371148171)

If her baby was due in Mid-May that would have put her 4 months pregnant at the time. Now how many Women you’re aware of would volunteer for their 1st major magazine fashion shoot while 4 months pregnant?

I’d love to see some pictures/video of this governor’s association speech that occurred (in the official story) after her water broke.

20. Charles says:

If this were based entirely on the fact that Palin didn’t look pregnant in March (bror, your photo comes through fine; it hasn’t been scrubbed), it would be stupid. Lots of women, even some thin as twigs, give birth without anyone knowing they were expecting.

But, three things. First, Palin is interviewing for one of the powerful and well-paid jobs on the planet. You can bet that if she were interviewing for CFO of General Foods and a question came out about whether she was engaged in a scheme to conceal a daughter’s pregnancy, there would be an investigation. Even her version– that she endangered the child’s life by flying while in labor– would be grounds to call into question her judgment. If we allow these questions when it’s a matter of handling the public’s investments, they can’t be off-limits when the job duties involve handling the public’s lives.

Second, I saw the photo of her daughter before it was scrubbed and before I had heard there were questions. The first response I had was, “Gee, that girl certainly looks pregnant.” I think it’s reasonable for Kathy to ask the question.

This is a picture showing Bristol Palin (and the rest of her family) in 2007, though it’s not clear what month.

But, is this what we want to spend our energy on? I don’t think so. Palin is only important in that she represents John McCain’s judgment on the important matter of who is fit to be president. This is a person with several ethical clouds hanging over her, possessing an extremist philosophy that most Americans reject, and reportedly exhibiting little interest in governing. McCain chose someone I don’t want running government and I will vote accordingly.

21. Bridg says:

Can you find any pics of the daughter from around the same period?

22. mary says:

when actresses are pregnant on tv shows, they are always holding something in front of them, or are shown sitting down … in most of the available pictures I have seen she is doing the same thing … but I can’t imagine the flying thing, especially in this day and age of telecommunication. She could have made the speech remotely frome Alaska. and I would have gone directly to a hospital … my first was 24 hours, my 2nd about 8 from when the water broke and he almost died. My 3rd was 5 hours from my first labor pain … But I doubt that anyone will ever be able to prove anything … small towns like that would likely band together to protect their own.

23. Mantari Damacy says:

> If she chose to raise her daughter’s child, which I am
    > willing to believe is true, that’s her ‘choice.’

Or, say, insurance fraud? I’m sure there are a number of crimes involved here. You choose.

24. bror says:

charles – I agree … no one from the campaign or the dems should try and attack her. As much as I don’t agree with her politics, I admire her for choosing a life as a public servant. Also agreed – she is not the issue but McCain’s judgment is. If she has made a very difficult decision to support and protect her family, agreed as well. But you don’t stand as the 1st in the line of succession if you have something like this in your past. Like it or not, her personal life now belongs to the American public.

25. icruise says:

Part of me wants to say that this is none of our business (and I don’t want to fall into the same trap that many right-wingers have when attacking Obama), but if she really has lied about this matter then it is something that we deserve to know about. True, there’s an element to it that is admirable — trying to spare her daughter — but I’m not sure that doing something like this is the right choice for anyone, much less someone running for high office. To lie to the public about something like this does put her honesty in question, and I do think it’s a matter of public interest since it would affect her performance in office during and after the pregnancy.

26. bror says:

Here is a good story that has detail on the flight etc …
    It adds info to debunks the airline policy issue and gives good explanation on some issues about her choices for flying (no comment on her judgment TO fly)

27. John Edwards says:

The announcement of her pregnancy in the Anchorage Daily News and discussion

Baby was expected in May?

‘Yolanda Wray, 41, runs a branch of First National Bank. Like Palin, she’s expecting a baby in May. She plans to work right up until the day she delivers. “Gosh she looks good,” Wray said of Palin. “I feel like a hippopotamus and I look like one too.”

…also…

Palin told reporters she’d had her last child, when she was Wasilla mayor, on a Monday and was been back at work on Tuesday.

You know, I never saw the announcement of what hospital the baby was born at. Isn’t that customary? In any case, I do not know if this is a fake story (Obama birth certificate) or not. But it is interesting to follow.

28. rileys red says:

I just watched the video from the Alaska Pod Show. Now, was that DECAF coffee the pregnant governor had?

29. checkingthefacts says:

Check out the police report for Bristol Palin for February 8, 2008

Wasilla Police Department
    On February 8, 2008, at 1737 hours, Wasilla Police responded to two vehicle collision at Seward Meridian Parkway and Fireweed Drive . Investigation revealed that Bristol Palin, age 17 of Wasilla, was driving a 4-door sedan and attempted to turn into a business when she struck a 2-door sedan driven by Joshua Moffet, age 19, of Wasilla. Palin was issued a citation for Failing to Use Due Care to Avoid a Collision. Moffet was issued a citation for an expired registration and no proof of insurance.

Here’s the linky:

Someone needs to find Josh Moffet right now and find out if this chick was showing a baby bump.

30. Chorner says:

If the previous poster cut and pasted correctly, then the Frontiersman collision report has already been scrubbed of Bristol Palin’s name. Things are getting very Orwellian. I am scared!

31. chris says:

The gent from the Alaska walking tours notes that he had no indication she was 7 months pregnant despite hoofing all over Juneau with her:

32. You know… I just wanted to mention that I feel ethically okay about this.

33. checkingthefacts says:

I found Josh’s myspace page, the one in the car accident with Bristol…

34. Light Goddess says:

The scene of Bristol’s accident is the Family Medicine Center of Alaska – why would she have been is Wasilla if she lives in the Capitol and her “mono” is so severe that she must be out of school for 4 or 5 months.

35. Ben says:

The frontiersman article is bogus. Here is the the google cache from August 19th:

A Wasilla 17-year-old was driving a four-door sedan and attempted to turn into a business when she struck a two-door sedan

No name then, no name now.

36. Ben says:

I take it back… here is somebody’s blog transcription (google cache August 10th) of the police report. The accident really did happen, I guess.

37. bror says:

In most cases a law enforcement agency should never release the name of a minor on public record documents

38. bror says:

funny … i think McCain is going to get jealous of her, she is stealing his spotlight

39. Amy of the Lakes says:

Is Sarah Palin tall? Seems like an odd question but I am 6’1″ and I hardly showed anything until my seventh month of any of my pregnancies because my height hides them very well, and I had 8 lb, 21 inch babies while my guess is that Trig was much smaller.

I was very thin and 21 years old when my first son was born. I was in college and did not keep the pregnancy a secret but was going about my business attending classes and socializing mostly within the married student housing apartments.

Outside our own fourplex of apartments, hardly anyone in our complex even knew I was pregnant, and numerous individuals in my classes and building were utterly shocked to see me with a baby afterward, and I had to convince them I’d been pregnant and the baby was mine.

Tall women (and it also appears that while slender, Gov. Palin is solidly built) do not show as much in their pregnancies. And if she was disguising it to avoid inviting the press into her personal life, she seemed to be wearing the right jackets and tops to hide it.

The family photo that shows Bristol Palin in an aqua-green sweater and jeans: don’t you think if she HAD been six months pregnant in the photo they would have been more careful? If I’d been trying to hide her pregnancy, I’d have had her in a less form fitting top and possibly had Piper standing in front of her to hide her belly.

To me, that photo proves that Bristol was not pregnant, but is simply a young woman of shape.

Why would they not work harder to hide her pregnancy in the photos?

40. Amy of the Lakes says:

p.s. I am an Obama supporter, but feel this is a ridiculous smear campaign. Even as a lesser known governor, the fact that a far right wing female governor was having her fifth child, who’d been tested as having Down Syndrome in vitro, got out, it would be inviting the press into their private lives. I can see wearing some loose jackets and being tight lipped to prevent it.

41. Nadine says:

I guess she made her children the center of attention it is fair game. as a mother of 4 children a democrats, pro- choice although I never abort a child but that does not mean I don’t need a choice. This woman wants man to walk all over her. we all know how those republican evangelical can be nasty and hypocrtical. I have respect for that lady however as mother I do not see how she will pull it off especially with that down syndrom baby. I see neglection and recklesness.
    All I can say is good luck too her! she has big dream though, but she should have process it before letting insane McCain takes advantage of her. that’s what happened when you have to much ambition and the wrong one. For Mcain to think because she is a women who has 5 kids and maried, women will vote for him is a bad dream, Republican is trying to make history just because democrats is making, that is ashame!
    As far for that baby Palin is crazy for putting her daughter in that situation, that shows me bad judgement and irresponsible, she put her career first than her familily apparently she has the bible backward. Why putting her 17 year old in the national spotlight.? As a christian your house should be in order, If there is nothing to shame,

42. Charles says:

Amy of the Lakes, one defining characteristic of smears is that they are false and known to be so (or so poorly examined that repeating them is reckless). Calling Barack Obama a secret Muslim is a smear.

I would wish that you would go and read Free Republic from time to time. On there, you will learn that the right regards anyone who isn’t with them as vermin. They publicize phone numbers and addresses of political opponents. Sometimes they boast of committing crimes against political opponents. They endlessly circulate hate and lies. They are thugs.

People left of that are going to have to get accustomed to this simple fact of life: to keep people like that from controlling government and using it to kill and torture innocent people, despoil the world, and waste–no, steal– the national treasure, you are going to have to stop second-guessing legitimate challenges to right-wing political leaders.

In this case, we have someone applying for one of the top jobs in the country. If this were private business, she’d be vetted a lot more thoroughly than the press is likely to do. She has potential ethical problems already, starting from the fact that she managed to see no evil in a state party so corrupt that most of its leaders are under indictment. She’s under investigation for abusing her power to protect a relative from a flawed, perhaps abusive brother-in-law. Now there’s reason to wonder whether she is lying to protect her family from shame. It’s a fair question.

Sure, this is a story about which everyone concerned should be careful and sensitive. That doesn’t mean muzzling ourselves. I would appreciate it if you would not label conversation about a sensitive topic a “smear.” Joe McCarthy would sneer at you.

43. Not convinced says:

Looks preggers here (April 10th):

but check out other photos on site.

1. Bristol Palin Pregnant/ Sarah Palin Pregnant: allegations · celebgalz.com - [...] Sarah Palin announced on March 5 2008 that she was in her 7th month of pregnancy with her fifth…
  2. Palin Family Values - Ajarn Forum - Living and Teaching In Thailand - [...] family. My baby will not be at all or in any sense neglected." ------…