Bristol Palin, 17, Is Pregnant

Here is Reuters:

The 17-year-old daughter of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin is pregnant, Palin said on Monday in an announcement intended to knock down rumors by liberal bloggers that Palin faked her own pregnancy to cover up for her child.

Bristol Palin, one of Alaska Gov. Palin’s five children with her husband, Todd, is about five months pregnant and is going to keep the child and marry the father, the Palins said in a statement released by the campaign of Republican presidential candidate John McCain.

First point: The rumors that Trig Palin is Bristol’s baby, not her mother’s, got started to begin with because (1) the former was visibly pregnant in several publicly released photographs; and (2) Bristol’s mother, whose own pregnancy overlapped with her daughter’s, did not tell anyone, not even her closest staff, that she was pregnant until her seventh month. In most instances, this would not cause such confusion, but Sarah Palin for whatever reason, did not look pregnant at all. Unsurprisingly, when Sarah Palin gave birth in April to a child most people did not even know she was pregnant with, and during the same period of time, published family photos showed a visibly pregnant Bristol Palin (albeit early pregnancy), people started asking questions.

All this is not even to mention Sarah Palin’s dishonesty and lack of good judgment in (apparently) not telling the man who had asked her to be his vice-president that her daughter was pregnant.

Does it even need to be said that the usual suspects on the right not only are not acknowledging the above, but are treating Sarah Palin’s announcement of her daughter’s pregnancy as some sort of triumph for their side and a takedown for ours?

Right now I’m all but shaking with anger at the brazen, blatant, shameless hypocrisy. Although why I am, I don’t know. I surely should be used to it by now.

I will have much more to say about this when I process all the implications a bit more.

33 Responses to “Bristol Palin, 17, Is Pregnant”

1. matttbastard says:

“Process the implications”?!

How much processing does it take to admit that you fucked up and that charges of hypocrisy from the wingnuts (and the likelihood of a backlash) were entirely predictable and, ultimately, inevitable, since the rumours have turned out to be entirely false?

Whoa, mattt. Addressing your second comment first, I did notice your post. Obviously, you have an entirely different point of view on this than I do, so it didn’t strike me as inappropriate to blog about it, too.

As to your first comment, yes, there are a lot of implications, and (obviously) I entirely disagree with your take on this, that it reflects badly on liberal bloggers.

3. Pug says:

Obama responded by asking people to lay off. I agree with him. I wonder, though, if Michelle Obama had been addicted to pain killers and been caught stealing drugs from a children’s charity, as Cindy McCain was, and Chelsea Clinton had got herself pregnant whether Republicans would have laid off. I think everybody know the answer.

All I can say is how John McCain treats other people’s children:

Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly?
    Her mother is Janet Reno.

John McCain thought that ugly little “joke” was so funny he decided to tell it in public when Chelsea was about 15-years old. That says all I need to know about John McCain. Chelsea Clinton has grown up to be a very attractive young woman..

4. Alice says:

If indeed Bristol is about 5 months pregnant and due around end of Dec, that would make this baby’s conception around end of March, around the time Bristol was laid up at home with a bad case of mononucleosis. She was too sick to go to school, but had enough energy for sex? This is obviously an attempt at damage control for the “Bristol is Trig’s mother” rumors which are out of control on the Internet right now. Watch out for a quickie marriage and convenient “miscarriage” before Dec of a faux baby.

… and Chelsea Clinton had got herself pregnant…

One thing to remember here. Bristol Palin did not get herself pregnant. The societal biases behind that linguistic construction have got to change. It’s time, okay?

The other possibility is that Bristol Palin is closer to three months pregnant, not five or five and a half. That would make it biologically possible for this pregnancy to be her second one.

7. Craig says:

Kathy, I don’t blame you for shaking over YOUR hypocrisy.

When you’re in a hole, stop digging. Its one thing when a politician won’t own up to mistakes, but when bloggers, who have much less personal skin on the line, can’t do so, its senseless.

Matt is right that this tawdry behavior is likely to turn around and discredit those who were so determined to see some far-fetched conspiracy that just wasn’t going to be there. You’ve just handed Palin the victim card on a silver platter. Frankly, I hope they don’t use it, so the daughter isn’t any more of a political game piece than she already has been made.

Those bloggers who have pursued this have no moral authority to call out any future attacks that their Republican counterparts may make regarding such unseemly personal attacks on one’s family. Evidently, the McCain camp knew about this personal family matter, as did a good portion of Palin’s hometown. At least those folks had the discretion and courtesy to keep such a thing low-key until the family chose to make it public.

You and yours have outed a traumatic personal issue that a teenage girl is dealing with, for the world to see. Congratulations.

For those who have had the better judgement to stay away from this ugliness, your discretion is commendable.

Anyone interested in discussing the qualifications and policies of the candidates?

UPDATE: Your continued attacks on this girl and her family are now getting beyond shameless. Step away from the keyboard and get some air.

You’re wrong, actually. I have a great deal of personal skin on the line. I have an 18-year-old daughter whose personal life could be greatly affected if Sarah Palin gets her wish for abortion to be banned. While she showers her own daughter with praise for “making the decision” to keep the baby, she wants to take that decision away from every other girl and woman in this country.

That is hypocrisy, and it’s shameful.

9. Pug says:

Have you heard Obama is a Muslim? Funny how Republicans are so interested in policy all of a sudden.

It’s also humorous how they have all forgotten about that despicable “joke” John McCain told about someone else’s young daughter. That was ugliness.

10. matttbastard says:

Your (no doubt genuine *cough*) concern aside, it comes, unfortunately, several hours too late., Craig

As noted in my most recent post, the manner in which the Palin’s (and the McCain campaign) phrased the announcement callously continues the gamesmanship. There’s no moral high ground to be had throughout all this; all sides are drowning in hypocrisy. And in the middle of it all, we have a 17 year old who is now an ideological football (after having been previously thrust unceremoniously into the center of a conspiratorial pile-on). Heck of a motherfucking job. Srsly.

11. matttbastard says:

Whoa, mattt. Addressing your second comment first, I did notice your post.

So why no link, nor any acknowledgment that someone here had already posted on the exact same subject using the exact same source?

And that’s fine. I never said nor implied that it was inappropriate for you to blog on the matter; again, it was the manner in which you posted–providing what you say is an alternative point of view without even acknowledging that another point had previously been made–that I found to be rather inconsiderate.

My point was and is that this reaction was (or should have been) entirely predictable. It was guaranteed there would be blowback for this line of investigation based on little more than hot air and feverish imagination turned out to be bullshit. And of course the wingnuts have no shame/sense of decency/are flaming fucking hypocrites–that’s what makes them wingnuts.

The bottom line is that the original false pregnancy story wasn’t true. For all you know, the initial rumour was a plant from someone in the McCain camp, bait they were hoping would stir up the Kosacks in order to coincide with this carefully timed announcement. If I were in McCain’s war room I’d be positively giddy at this moment.

So, yes, I do think this reflects badly on the credibility of liberal bloggers who eagerly jumped aboard the baby bump bandwagon without first considering the long term consequences and who stood to benefit most.

Again, Karl Rove thanks you.

12. JIM PETSCHOW says:

YEA I GOT SOMETHING TO SAY.. SAHRA [THE MOTHER] WAS SO BUSY BEING A BIG SHOT.GOING INTO POLITICS THAT SHE SHE FORGOT HER #1 PRIORITY “TAKING CARE OF HER CHILDREN” SHARA DID NOT DO HER JOB AS A MOTHER . IF YOU CAN’T TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN FAMILY HOW ARE TO THINK YOU CAN RUN A STATE OR COUNTRY?! HAVING SEX IN HIGH SCHOOL IS EASY, HAVING RESTRAINT IS THE “GOD” WAY. NO EXCUSES!! EVERYONE WANTS SEX IN HIGH SCHOOL ,SAYING NO IS THE HARD THING TO DO.

13. gcotharn says:

Kathy wrote:

(1) the former [Bristol] was visibly pregnant in several publicly released photographs

If you are speaking of the famous family photo with Bristol in the light green sweater : that photo was taken in 2006. I cannot now remember where I found that date. However, look for yourself at the girls ages in that family photo, then compare with the now two years older youngest daughter and middle daughter in these photos from Friday. The Kos diary which began this avalanche of horse manure was filled with false information which was out in plain sight for anyone willing to see it.

14. gcotharn says:

Petschow at 5:51

That’s a misogynystic bunch of crud. We don’t know anything about Sarah or Bristol Palin’s relationship. For all we know, Sarah wore Bristol out with discussions and movies and books about birth control and reproduction. For all we know, Bristol was on birth control and Levi was using a birth control device, and everything failed simultaneously. Of course such an occurance is extremely unlikely, but the point is: none of us know the circumstances, none of us will ever know, and it violates a boundary of grace and good taste to speculate. You are speculating in an unseemly and unsupportable fashion.

15. Craig says:

Kathy, as I’m sure you understood, but choose to ignore, I was referring to your level of personal stake in acknowledging the overreach in the daughter/granddaugter story itself.

Where is it written that a political blogger has to reject the idea of any error in judgement, regardless of the obviousness of it? Is one mistake in personal opinion all it takes to utterly discredit someone from ever being taken as credible again? If so, no one holds any credibility. Is it more like, “I can’t give “the enemy” even the briefest moment of satisfaction”? Or both?

The fact that you’re willing to keep pushing forward with ideas that the daughter may have simply gotten pregnant immediately after delivering the “secret one”, rather than accepting the story’s actual developments, just defies reason.

16. matttbastard says:

(All disputes aside, someone should quickly look into developing CSPAN’s first celebreality program: Bristol Palin is 17and Pregnant.)

17. matttbastard says:

JIM PETSCHOW on September 1st, 2008 5:51 pm (Edit)

CAPSLOCK MAKES ME SAMRT!!1

Because I’m absent-minded. It was not a deliberate slight. I will try to remember to do that in the future.

19. JIM PETSCHOW says:

BEING ON “BIRTH CONTROL”… SO ALL SEXUAL RELATIONS ARE “OK” AS LONG AS ONE IS ON BIRTHCONTROL? I SEE ..TODAY [2008 ]ANYTHING SOMEONE WANTS TO DO IS OK AND OF COURSE ALL “TEENAGERS” HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS . IF HOPE THAT BRISTOL & “BOYFRIEND” ARE PLANNING ON GETTING JOBS RIGHT AWAY. IF THEY THINK THAT LIVING & HAVING A FAMILY ARE “FREE” WELL THEY BETTER THINK AGAIN. IT’S WORK WORK WORK.. THAT’S WHAT LIFE IS ABOUT IN THE GOOD OLE’ USA. I’M NOT PLANNING TO PAY FOR [TAXES] TO SUPPORT THEM .

Where is the overreach, Craig? I didn’t create the story; I linked to a post at a highly regarded blog that pointed to the fact that the story was out there, and that IF true, it raised certain questions.

The rumor itself got started because Bristol Palin IS pregnant, and presumably WAS pregnant when those pictures were taken, and when people looked at the pictures, *they noticed that Bristol Palin looked pregnant.* And since Bristol’s mother had not seen fit to be open, honest, and straightforward about the matter, rumors started. This is not the fault of liberal bloggers, Craig.

Again, if Bristol Palin had never been pregnant, there would have been no daughter/granddaughter story in the first place. It’s Bristol Palin’s pregnancy that is the issue, because (1) She is only 17 (16 when she conceived) and she had sex outside of wedlock and she *decided* (i.e., that means, made a *choice*) to keep the baby; and (2) Number 1 is a complete and total contradiction of the public policies that Bristol’s mother fanatically advocates for MY daughter, and everyone else’s daughter in this country. That, plus the fact that Bristol’s mother did not deal with these contradictions honestly and openly, but instead tried to hide it and cover it up, absolutely *makes it my business* and debunks your charge of “overreaching.” This entire story can never be “a personal family issue” until Sarah Palin (and her new boss) agree not to make my daughter’s personal family issues their business.

21. matttbastard says:

I appreciate that, Kathy.

22. matttbastard says:

DAMN KIDS! GET OFF MY CAPSLOCK!!!1

That would never sell, mattt. But this would: Bristol Palin, 17, Daughter of Crusader for Abstinence-Only Education and for Criminalizing All Abortions (Unless It Could Be Proved That the Pregnancy Would Kill the Woman) Is Pregnant and Has CHOSEN to Keep the Baby.

I know that title is way too long.

24. matttbastard says:

Has a ring to it, though…

25. Craig says:

Good Grief! I’ll say this and be done with this nonsense. I NEVER SAID YOU CREATED THE STORY!! You were, however, among those actively pushing this story as legitimate, thus part of those overreaching by supporting a baseless, unseemly and conspiritorial story pasted together with a thin layer of conjecture and circumstancial information.

The story started not because of Bristol’s appearance, but due to Sarah’s lack of a pregnant appearance, on top of what turned out to be a 2006 picture of Bristol with a belly. Don’t retrofit her current pregnancy as the reason for questions. If she is five months pregnant, she didn’t even become pregnant until about late March. Since Trig was born on April 18th, you surely aren’t going to now argue confusion over how pregnant Bristol would have looked in mid-April???

So yes, it is the fault of some bloggers to place political attacks far beyond reason and evidence. If people want to be taken seriously as political commentators then they are obligated to make editorial judgements seriously. And no, this kind of behavior is not the practice of liberals alone.

And then for you to continue to push the conspiracy meme even farther by advancing the idea that Bristol may have given birth to Trig and then immediately became pregnant again????

If your reach gets any longer you’ll be a starting center in the NBA!

If you want to be in the “hold your ground no matter which side of the truth your on” camp, that is your choice. But I’m not sure what good it serves.

An awful lot of conversation here for what should have been a simple admission of “well, that very suspect story never held together ,so let’s move along” .

Craig,

You have a point. The rumor that Sarah Palin’s daughter, Bristol, was actually Trig Palin’s mother, not Sarah, did not hold together. Let’s move on from that to Bristol’s real, factual pregnancy, and to the fact of Bristol’s mother telling us that her 17-year-old pregnant daughter has decided, on her own, to keep the baby. I imagine, since Sarah Palin made a point of telling us that her daughter *chose* to keep the baby, that she (Sarah) may have thought it important that Americans know her daughter was not coerced or pressured into keeping the baby. She chose to keep the baby.

What are your thoughts about the above, Craig, in the context of Sarah Palin’s strong support for making all abortions illegal, with no exceptions for anything except the imminent and certain death of the mother?

27. Craig says:

Well, I think the reality of the McCain/Palin platform is to eventually overturn Roe vs Wade and return the abortion decision to the States. I personally am against abortion, but I’m not necessarily for overturning the current settled law. If under typical circumstances a woman is determined to abort an unborn life, its best that it at least be done in a safe manner. I do think there must be some restictions on partial birth/late term abortions, and more efforts toward abstinence or at least to be safe and responsible about it.

So, that puts me kind of at odds with McCain and Palin in terms of the extent to which they’d like judicial direction to go. But then, its not about totally agreeing with every stand your candidate takes. I’d assume you aren’t happy about Obama’s NSA surveillence stance or any hedge he puts on the timeframe for returning troops from Iraq.

But of course, its not the United Sates of Kathy or of Craig either.

Thank you for a thoughtful response, Craig. I respect your views on abortion.

But that — for me — is not the point. I know that McCain and Palin are virulently anti-choice. That’s why I’m not voting for them (well, one of the reasons, but it’s a big one).

That’s not why I’ve been sounding off here about Sarah Palin and her daughter and teen pregnancy.

Given that Sarah Palin is against abortion being legal, I would have expected her to say, when she announced that her daughter was pregnant, “Our beautiful daughter, Bristol, has come to us with the news that she is pregnant. As you know, she is still a minor, and as her parents, we have made it clear to her that there will be no abortion. She can either keep the baby or give it up for adoption, but she will not be permitted to have an abortion. Of course, she has our unconditional love and support within the parameters of this restriction.”

That would have been honest, and consistent with Sarah Palin’s stated, supposed beliefs about abortion.

And if she had actually said that, *all hell would have broken loose.* And you know why. I don’t even have to say it.

So Sarah Palin chose the path of dishonesty and hypocrisy. She told us that her daughter was pregnant and had decided, on her own, to keep the baby. That may very well be the truth. But the point is that Bristol’s mother knew that it was not merely important but absolutely crucial that the American public be assured that Bristol Palin had a choice and was not forced into keeping the baby:

An outcome that Sarah Palin has made crystal clear she wants to mandate for every girl and woman in this country.

That, Craig, is DISGUSTING. And the caps are for strong emphasis, not shouting. I do not want someone like that a heartbeat away from the presidency (in addition to all the other reasons). And I will *not* be silent in the face of people — any people — who tell me it’s not important enough to talk about and write about.

29. Roy says:

You all have missed the point. You have a woman who openly opposes teaching birth control in schools, one who states only abstaining is proper. Who’s kid gets knocked up at 17. Sarah herself had a shotgun wedding. She clearly has no idea how to handle her or her daughters sexuality. She espouses family values. What family values include premarital sex and teen age pregnancy? What there trailer listing too far to the right?

Yes, getting pregnant is the womans responsibility. Only her responsibility. She can abstain, take birth control, make her suitor use a condom, etc., etc. In the end, she is the one who will be stuck with said child. Men can bail. Women are the gate keepers. If my wife does not want to knock boots, guess what? I’m hanging with lefty….

30. frank burns says:

Who knows how a pathological liar’s mind works. My guess is that she is audacious, and that is why she announced, before the flight, that her water broke. Plus, the baby was already born and she was concerned about simply waltzing into a hospital and coming out with Bristol’s baby, without more “corroborating” evidence of her own preganancy beforehand. It is already December, and where is this new alleged pregnancy and this new alleged baby?

31. Sue says:

At Bristols school she was know for drinking alot & sleeping with her boyfriend. Sarah Palin let Bristols boyfriend live with them. Sarah Palin doest care about her kids. It do matter what her children do if she going to us them as part of her politics. Do we want someone who dont care about their kids to run our country.

1. Flopping Aces » Blog Archive » Sarah Palin’s Daughter Is Pregnant - [...] of approach accomplishes very little other than increasing the number of pregnant 17 year olds. All this is not…
  2. The Baltimore Reporter - [...] of approach accomplishes very little other than increasing the number of pregnant 17 year olds. All this is not…