Palin Fights to Divide America

It’s late and I finally saw Palin’s speech via TIVO.  It was the most mean-spirited, hateful and divisive speech I have ever witnessed in American politics.  It was packed throughout with lies and deceptive omissions.

It was clear that she feels she has the right to define America and that her definition includes no place for progressives like myself.  Sure, she coded her smears as against “community activists” and “San Francisco,” but we all knew she was smearing all progressives, liberals, Democrats, etc.  I truly believe she hates people like me and does not consider us American.

The speech was George Bush on steroids.  It was in the long tradition of Atwater and Rove.  It had the Rove acolytes fingerprints all over it.  It was pure wedge politics with the hope that in dividing America she tore off just a big enough chunk to narrowly win this election. It’s desperation. It’s their only shot.

Overall, it was simply shameful.

UPDATE: As to the lies, Hilzoy has an early breakdown.  I would add to his list Palin’s deceptive omission in failing to include that she used a windfall profits tax on oil companies (something Obama supports and McCain opposes) to give back money to Alaskans during the recent rising gas prices.

7 Responses to “Palin Fights to Divide America”

1. gcotharn says:

You say:

I truly believe she hates people like me

Governor Palin hates the sin and loves the sinner. She disagrees with your opinions about how best to govern. She doesn’t hate you. She thinks your opinions are dumb. She thinks your perceived “facts” are often fantasies. She doesn’t think you are dumb.

Not you, specifically, but progressives in general would be better served by understanding that Christian conservatives do not hate you – except in moments of weakness, for which we are later remorseful and penitent! We think you are fallen and misguided. We think we are fallen and misguided. We ask forgiveness for ourselves. We forgive you – even though you do not want it! We are the forgiving sort.

This is why Governor Palin’s candidacy cannot be wrecked by Bristol’s unwed pregnancy. Those are stumbles. Drunk driving: stumble. Drunk naked table dancing – or whatever wildness: stumble.

Conversely, if Christians see evidence of cold-blooded deception, i.e. of a sort of hypocrisy as strategy – for lack of a better way to describe it, i.e. the porked up ways of the Republican Congress before 2006: we will drop that Republican Congress like the anchor they were and often still are.

But that’s not what we see with an unwed pregnancy and a DWI. Instead, we see stumble, and it would help Progressives if they better understood this. It will be said, in media or somewhere, that Christian conservatives are adhering to strict party discipline and standing by Bristol/Sarah Palin. That is not what is happening. We are adhering to principles and beliefs we hold dear. It would help Progressives if they better understood that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A technical quibble over the “Windfall” description of Palin’s tax on oil extractors. I believe you’ve been understandably misled by a misleading article in a Seattle newspaper. Palin’s tax on oil extractors is not based upon profit margin, as Obama’s proposed tax is. This technical detail comprises the difference between moral and immoral. A tax based upon profit margin is, in Beldar’s words:

nothing less than selective government confiscation of the property of a particular industry, on the theory that such industry’s profits are “excessive.” That’s a repugnant rabble-rousing scheme, populism turned into class warfare and carried to its excessive worst. It’s completely unjustifiable either morally or economically.

I won’t go so far as to say I like Palin’s tax on oil companies. I officially hold no position. I’m uninterested in delving into the minutae of it’s validity, or lack of same. It might well be terrible policy, but for now, whatever. But it’s not “Windfall”. Beldar again:

State severance taxes charged on production of oil and gas and minerals are common throughout the United States. Also sometimes called “production taxes,” they’re charged by the state from beneath whose land valuable resources are extracted, and they’re designed not to punish the energy companies, but to recompense the state for its loss of a non-replaceable resource — one that must be quantified and taxed upon removal, if it is ever to be taxed at all.

I included that last quote b/c, you know, I’m just not into the minutia…

I think her opinions are dumb. I think she has no facts and lives in a world of right-wing fantasy.

Hey! Palin and I do have something in common!

Oh wow, I feel so much better.

Actually, I don’t care if Sarah Palin and her fellow Christian Talibaners think I’m “fallen and misguided.” They are welcome to their opinion. But they should keep their f***king paws off my daughter’s body (and of course all women’s bodies, but there’s one I care about more than anyone else). If not, you’d better believe we’ll have a fight on our hands.

3. gcotharn says:

Noted. And I’m in favor of a good fight. Democracy is a wonderful thing. And I respect your principled sincerity, even as I might disagree with your opinions. I do not hate you, and neither does Governor Palin.

4. Zeph says:

All in all this reads like you tuned in with a preconception about who she is and stuck with it. How open-minded!

She’s a conservative therefore she doesn’t hate anyone. She may disagree but don’t confuse that with hate. We’re not the left. We don’t lump hate and disagreement together. You’re the one who came into it thinking out of hate; not her. Your use of words like “Rove acolytes” and such show your intolerance for her and her ideals aka hate for her.

We’ll see how divisive she truly is when McCain wins the election. Trust me, if you knew the mindset behind those on the right, you’d know this is not anywhere close to desperation.

But i guess your america is not my America. I feel sorry for the fact that you’ve been so sheltered and culturally isolated.

Ahhh, so we on the left have misunderstood Sarah Palin’s position on abortion, then? It’s not true that she supports forcing childbirth on 10-year-old incest victims and women who have been raped and women whose health would suffer from carrying a pregnancy to term?

6. jill berg says:

What exactly is her prior experience that could possibly prepare her for the job? Being able to quote the ridiculous party line answers to so many questions…Yes to guns, guns, more guns. But no to choice. But yes, lets keep on fighting wars to keep the US in oil. Yes to Christianity, no to any alternative. These are not my preconceptions; they are her positions on just a few issues. She is intolerant, perhaps not hateful. But the very thought of having an unexperienced, blind-faith Christian right wing person who seems to think she has all the answers….frightens me to the core. And leads me to work even harder not to let that happen. We have had enough of that mentality for the last 8 years.

7. martin says:

i think palin has brought to stage the level of segregation and divisive spirit unseen in America since the civil rights era. And to have the audacity to suggest that she is some kind of transformer is hypocritical. her somewhat racially charged speeches and divisive tactics is in no way typical of a christian spirit . this is all a sham and to suggest that this lady will effective run the position of a president in case any thing happens to John is one of the adverse historical decision America will ever make/ this is a country of the best minds and free lance spirits . this choice takes naivety to a whole new level . i will have to migrate to Canada if this ever happens.