What the McCain Campaign Really Didn’t Want You To See

So it just occurred to me that maybe I’ve been taking the whole McCain campaign suspension the wrong way.  I’ve been looking at it from the point of view that McCain threw another Hail Mary pass to try and turn around his polling numbers.

I had no clue there was another possible motive behind it all.

This move had sent the entire chattering class into an absolute frenzy, but what many seemed to have forgot was that we were also supposed to be treated to the Katie Couric interview of Sarah Palin.

Jonathan Martin says,

Sarah Palin’s interview with Katie Couric, the first portion of which airs tonight, won’t give Republicans any reassurance that she’s ready for prime time.

It will, however, reassure McCain aides that they’re ollowing the right course of action by keeping her shielded.

Come on, it couldn’t have been that bad, could it?  Marc Ambinder has up what would have shaped up to be the big zinger:

COURIC: You’ve said, quote, “John McCain will reform the way Wall Street does business.” Other than supporting stricter regulations of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac two years ago, can you give us any more example of his leading the charge for more oversight?

PALIN: I think that the example that you just cited, with his warnings two years ago about Fannie and Freddie–that, that’s paramount. That’s more than a heck of a lot of other senators and representatives did for us.

COURIC: But he’s been in Congress for 26 years. He’s been chairman of the powerful Commerce Committee. And he has almost always sided with less regulation, not more.

PALIN: He’s also known as the maverick though. Taking shots from his own party, and certainly taking shots from the other party. Trying to get people to understand what he’s been talking about–the need to reform government.

COURIC: I’m just going to ask you one more time, not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation?

PALIN: I’ll try to find you some and I’ll bring them to you

Ouch.  Okay, that was pretty bad.  I’m not trying to diss Katie Couric but, well, getting flummoxed by Couric is not unlike getting dunked on by a seventh grader–you really don’t want anyone else to know about it.

If this were an isolated incident in the interview, I suppose that would be okay.  Well, all right, maybe not; it looks terrible spending so much time on the stump talking about how great of a reformer McCain is and not being able to come up with one single concrete example.  But maybe the rest of the interview was much better?

Sadly, no.  After reading what I’m guessing is only a partial transcript, it’s fairly clear that the interview was a veritable gaffeapalooza.  Not only that, it seems as though Palin simply doesn’t actually know anything.  I mean anything.

Of the questions listed, Palin gives hardly a coherent response to anyone.  Which has me wondering; is it possible that the entire motivation behind the campaign suspension was all simply to keep people from learning that the emperor has no clothes?

11 Responses to “What the McCain Campaign Really Didn’t Want You To See”

Oh my god, Kyle. That was painful to watch.

2. I haven’t had a chance to watch it, so I know I’m missing something in the transcript. The CBS player doesn’t work here at work, so I’m going to have to wait until I get home, but I mean, what I think we are seeing is the McCain campaign simply imploding.

They could have pulled off the gimmick, but in order to do that, they simply had to dominate the opinion. The surrogates had to get out there and talk it up, and what I’m seeing right now is the exact opposite. Within hours of the announcement, you’re seeing Obama remain unflapped, and the driving narrative be hail mary pass.

Then he flubbed with Letterman, and then you have this interview, and basically, what you see is a campaign that has nowhere positive to look to right now for hope. None.

Also, someone pointed out — I can’t remember if it was Jonathan Martin or Josh Marshall — that Obama’s offer to work with McCain on a joint statement was made in a private phone call precisely for the reason that announcing it publicly would politicize it. Then McCain goes ahead and politicizes it.

He’s toast.

4. JoyIA says:

I watched the 5 minute clip and felt like my head was going to explode. The cram sessions, the Cliffs Notes, the wearing headphones with foreign policy info while Sarah is sleeping hoping it sinks into her brain, are obviously not working.

5. Oh jeez, I just got done actually watching it also (couldn’t watch either the YouTube clip nor the CBS feed at work), and I’m with you Joy and Kathy, my heads hurt. It was, I couldn’t believe it, worse than the actual transcript.

You know, I don’t get to watch an awful lot of what Palin says (thank you god), but I have read a lot (percentage-wise, folks, percentage wise. The sheer quantity alone is nowhere near enough to qualify as “a lot”) of her statements, and I’m coming away with one single fact…

…she doesn’t actually manage to say anything. A lot of words come out, but when you string them together, trying to find the guiding concept behind those words is nigh on impossible. It’s like she’s sitting there and hoping that people will just accept that the drone of continuous verbage actually equates to a substantive argument. Not one with merits that can actually be weighed, mind you, just that there is one, whatever it is.

America is waiting on McCain and not Obama on how they’re going to act? From what corner of her ass did she pull that out of?

Yeah, because the actual transcript cannot convey her chirpy, self-conscious giggle at the end when she answers Katie Couric’s question about other ways McCain opposed deregulation with that line, “I’ll find out and I’ll get it to ya!”

Letterman made an important point, in his funny way, when he asked why Palin wasn’t out there taking McCain’s place on the campaign trail. Everybody’s been talking about the “one heartbeat away from the presidency” issue, and folks, this is it. It’s not McCain dying or being incapacitated, but why should he have to suspend his campaign to “help” with the bailout plan when he could have his running mate take over? Answer: Because she can’t. I mean, not that we here didn’t know this already, but this is all the proof anyone should need that this woman is not ready to be president.

7. Ace Armstrong says:

As the wheels come off of the “Straight Talk Express” and we watch John McSame POW become MIA all we’re left with is ‘Platitude’ Palen.
    There now seems to be an emerging pattern in the MSM where McSame is lauded for his POW status before the criticism is launched.
    I’m not sure I’d be bragging up my pilot credential if I had been responsible for the destruction of at least five aircraft.
    McSame was a legacy student at Annapolis who became a pilot through family influence and not based on his accomplishments.
    Sound familiar.

8. daphne says:

I was about to call her maddeningly vague but I like “platitude” better. With bonus points for alliteration, Ace!

9. “I’m just going to ask you one more time, not to belabor the point.” A.) Belabor: argue or elaborate (a subject) in excessive detail: belabor the obvious. B.) Point: an argument or idea put forward by a person in discussion: he made the point that economic regulation involves controls on pricing. Was Katie Couric making a point, or was she asking a question? Beyond the two pertinent and most recent examples of John McCain’s record, was Katie eliciting information in excessive detail, belaboring a point, or just murdering the King’s English? Fact is, Ms. Couric did want a list, and Ms. Palin offered to provide it. What’s the correct answer? You’re right Katie, John is an obvious fake, and I’m totally clueless. D’oh! Sorry for not being more straightforward. But it’s moose season; come-on up to the cabin, you can see the Kremlin from the roof. I’ve got two new moose hats, one for both you and Charlie Gibson: http://theseedsof9-11.com

10. Jan Thorston says:

The emperor has no clothes?! This “empress” has no vagina. She’s tanked and McCain’s goin’ down. And not on her, either. Ta Ta, Re-Pubics. You’re toast.

11. Debra says:

Oh. My. God. I am a feminist from WAY BACK. But I just can’t support anyone so stupid as this. And even more, so arrogant to think that her tits and ass can can shimmy her way to the White House.