Liveblogging the Second Presidential Debate

Well, it’s about forty minutes from go time for the second presidential debate, so I’m going to kick off the liveblogging festivities.  You can check out my debate preview here, and I’ll give you the quick rundown below the fold.

As always, we welcome everyone to join us in our liveblogging.  This is easily done because all of the liveblogging takes place in our comments section; you can join in with me at any time you want.  I only ask that nobody spam, and no one get too foul of a mouth (I will of course forgive the occasional curse word).

I will be watching this via CNN.com’s live feed, though you should be able to watch on any number of television channels, MSNBC.com’s website, and even hulu.com (which I personally love, but the screen size over there would make it difficult for me to live blog).

Without any further ado, let’s get this started!

244 Responses to “Liveblogging the Second Presidential Debate”

Obama must be fending off the urge to raise up and deck McCain right now. McCain speaks to him like he’s a child. Obama needs to attack this teabag.

2. yeah, trucknuts is just a teabag.

Obama better hit McCain back on this

Who put the rod up Brokaw’s ass?

And Brokow wouldn’t let him respond! Hang the umps!

McCain is standing; not pacing. I wonder if he has prostate problems.

6. radical_Moderate says:

would McCain stop this horseshit claiming that doubling the deduction for children helping “most” Americans, I wouldn’t benefit, I don’t have kids!

7. You know, Tom Brokaw is in the tank.

8. Damn, and Obama just nailed it, he just answered the question AND hit McCain back.

“Across the table” — drink!

McCain isn’t answering the question. Having Congress vote up or down is not a plan.

11. I thought McCain said he was going to answer the question? He said he could fix social security, but he didn’t say how?

And he’s not answering the Medicare question either. And is it me, or does he strike anyone else like a troll?

Brokow wouldn’t let Obama respond to teabag bullbag again — drink?

Again, he’s not answering the question. The question was how would he get Congress to move faster.

14. Yeah, screw it, we don’t need nuclear power to be safe! pfft!

15. radical_Moderate says:

jesus McAMcCain is running dangerously close to “Old man Yells at Cloud” territory…I agree with whoever speculated that he must be having prostrate trouble…

16. terry says:

we’re the best workers
    we’re the best workers
    we’re the best workers

that’s the answer??

You know, you would think that allowing the candidates to fully answer questions and respond to each other’s comments would be more important than rigidly sticking to arbitrary rules about time.

18. terry says:

Obama meant to say Internet didn’t he? Not computer.

I think he’s having prostrate *and* prostate problems. 🙂

20. Well, Kathy, I think that is part of the story. I’ve read a few things that Brokaw is in the tank, and the fact that he keeps cutting off Obama I think has to be a part of the story.

Hey Brokaw — Shut the !@#$ up.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST ON A POGOSTICK! Brokaw sounds like an effin’ kindergarten teacher!

23. If I have to hear Brokaw one more time remind the debaters about the rules, I’m going to scream.

And holy shit, I’m looking at the mood meter, and I don’t think McCain did himself any favors by mentioning that he shut down alternative energy because of “goodies”. Every time McCain goes on the attack, he gets punished for it on the mood meter.

Kyle, you’re right. There’s a woman in my synagogue who used to work at NBC. She was there for years, and she worked directly with Brokaw. He is Republican to his DNA, and she also said he’s a racist.

McCain’s pacing again — sit down you loon.

26. big loser of the night: Tom Brokaw.

27. yeah, what is with McCain and pacing? What do you guys make of it because it’s making me a little wary. It’s, again, a bit like a sign of disrespect. he’s not being as openly rude, but the pacing isn’t great.

Kathy, I have to correct you: It’s “JUMPIN’ JESUS ON A POGO STICK!” Since he’s on a pogo stick, he’s obviously jumping. This was covered in the Dead Milkmen song “Stuart”, which also discusses what the queers are doing to the soil and is hilarious…

29. radical_Moderate says:

Obama is terrifObama is excellent this evening…maybe he made a mistake not doing more “townhall” meetings with McCain…

30. terry says:

We go across state lines for beer.

31. An appreciative teacher says:

Late to the party… I had a school board meeting to attend.

Thanks to your informative comments, I can catch up!

32. yes, let’s make sure that our snark is up to standard.

If Brokaw doesn’t let Obama respond here, I’ll pay somebody to go across that room and do violence upon him.

34. Jebus, McCain is killing me… he’s turning into that adult sound you hear in the old Peanuts cartoons.

Waaa wa waa wa wa wa waa.

I’ve gotten blogdiva on twitter to start shouting “GET OFF MY LAWWWWWNNN!”

36. You know, Obama has the classic look. McCain rails on Obama, and Obama just smiles.

37. OBAMA IS KICKING MCCAIN IN HIS ANCIENT KEASTER ON HEALTHCARE!

38. terry says:

That was a great answer about buying in different states from Obama.

Shut up, McCain.

40. And the mood meter was off the charts throughout that entire answer. And mcCain just told a joke that didn’t come off.

41. John McCain just said criticism of America is justified?!?!?!

WHY DOES HE HATE AMERICA!?@!

42. Oh, McCain is about to get his peepee spanked here. for our studio audience, McCain actually brought up judgement on military issues.

Well, there ya go, tas. I’m too square to even have heard of the dead milkmen, lol!

Kathy, your squaring shall be pown’d: STUART!

I think the news tomorrow is going to be full of “Tom was really grumpy about time” comments.

46. Okay, how did Obama do? I had the phone drag me away through Obama’s answer.

I have no idea what that meant, but I love to visit new places. 😐

Is that Stuart, or is it one of the Dead Milkmen?

If we had done what Senator Obama wanted done in Iraq, we wouldn’t have been in Iraq. Shut the !@#$ up, McCain.

A COOL HAND ON THE TILLER? Oh, he’s going to regret saying that.