Liveblogging the Second Presidential Debate

Well, it’s about forty minutes from go time for the second presidential debate, so I’m going to kick off the liveblogging festivities.  You can check out my debate preview here, and I’ll give you the quick rundown below the fold.

As always, we welcome everyone to join us in our liveblogging.  This is easily done because all of the liveblogging takes place in our comments section; you can join in with me at any time you want.  I only ask that nobody spam, and no one get too foul of a mouth (I will of course forgive the occasional curse word).

I will be watching this via CNN.com’s live feed, though you should be able to watch on any number of television channels, MSNBC.com’s website, and even hulu.com (which I personally love, but the screen size over there would make it difficult for me to live blog).

Without any further ado, let’s get this started!

244 Responses to “Liveblogging the Second Presidential Debate”

1. “a cool hand at the tiller?”

And that’s McCain? Really?

I’m not sure — I just found the video on the spot, but haven’t watched it yet. Debate and all. Could be fan produced.

Keep your fucking mouth off the Holocaust, asshole.

4. terry says:

Kyle I almost wrote the same thing :-) McCain… Cool??

5. I just don’t see it. I can’t see John McCain as our president. I just can’t.

6. radical_Moderate says:

President Reagan “his hero” what a laugh, as I understand it, the Reagan’s didn’t think much of McCain after he dumped his first wife, who the Reagans loved, for Cindy Lou

7. You’re correct there RM. In fact, I heard that Nancy Reagan’s “endorsement” of McCain was less than enthusiastic.

8. terry says:

We’ve been watching Obama so much that we’ve heard a lot of this before. If people are seeing each candidate for the first time, Obama has to be coming off as very impressive. McCain is so negative and a, I’m sorry, a little creepy.

9. Wait, I thought his hero was Ronald Reagan!

10. And I agree with you very much Terry. I think one candidate tonight looks calm, presidential, and ready to lead. The other is teabag trucknutz McCain.

Wrong McCain — Wrong, wrong, wrong on Pakistan. We’ve given Pakistan everything they could have ever wanted from us and they still let the Taliban into their hinterlands. Obama has a better approach.

Get the people of Warzistan to work with us? Hahahahaha! Right.

12. An appreciative teacher says:

McCain is looking more and more like a crumudgeon.

13. And Obama just murdered McCain on “speaking softly.”

14. As a curmudgeon, teach, I resent that!

15. How does McCain know how to “get” Osama bin Laden. I think McCain just killed himself here. After Obama just right there clarified his Pakistan policy, McCain AGAIN lied about it.

16. (teach) I was kidding, btw.

17. ZOMG! McCain just said Obama was correct! Can we make an ad about it?!?!

Fine McCain — what are those penalties? And when issued to Russia, how to we defuse any counteractions they have?

19. Does anyone just turn off when McCain starts droning on and on. I do.

20. Minor gaffe on Obama’s part there, he said “more safe” when he meant “less safe”.

I’ve got my daughter on gmail chat, that’s why I haven’t commented here in a few minutes. She’s watching the debate at Barnard.

22. Two more questions?

*sigh*

Bald guy with goatee and glasses asking a question — I have to stand with him. Because I’m bald.. With glasses.. And regrowing my goatee. Keeps the ole chin warm during the winter, ya know.

24. terry says:

Hey all someone asked this question on my blog:

If either party’s candidate for the presidency becomes incapacitated or God forbid dies, what happens to that party’s election? Would the VP candidate become the prez? Would the DNC or RNC have to select a new candidate.

Does anyone know the answer?

25. As a former petty officer, I am naturally opposed to chiefs in general.

I think Tom Brokaw is rattling Obama a little. Goddamn SOB.

HOLOCAUST! SHRIEK!

27. An appreciative teacher says:

Kyle, I didn’t mean to offend. I also didn’t mean to mis-type. 😀

LOL Kyle @ chiefs

There Obama goes with his second Holocaust crap again. Teabag you.

30. Terry, I’m not exactly sure. The only close example I can think of was when Senator Paul Wellstone died. Then Michael Dukakis jumped in and lost to Norm Coleman. In this situation, I’m not sure what would happen, but i think the GOP would pretty much have to accept Governor Palin as their presidential candidate.

31. Teacher, I was just giving you some good natured ribbin’ as they say back home on Main street Wasilla…

32. Oh thank GOD! Last question!

What don’t you know, and how will you learn it?

terry — That’s a question you’d have to ask a Constittutional lawyer. But since I’m an asshole, I partially qualify so I’ll answer. The Constitution stipulates that presidents are elected by Electoral College. When you vote for a president, you’re not actually voting for that candidate — you’re voting for the Electoral College delegate’s that his state’s party has assigned. Those delegates pledge to vote for the candidate; but they can vote for anybody they want. Indeed, in 2004 John Edwards received one electoral college vote (it’s the closest to the presidency he’ll ever get). Should fate befall a major party candidate after they are elected* (* – after the November election, I should say; or even before), the Electoral College delegates elected for them can vote for whoever they want — regardless of what the RNC or DNC says.

The Constitution, though, could have a different procedure that I don’t know about.

34. And both candidates are using this to go into their stump speeches and biography, and I guess that means it’s time to start getting your opinions. What did you guys think?

35. And mcCain again says we need a steady hand at the tiller. the thing about that comment is that I just don’t think McCain can make the case that he’s that steady hand!

Thank God it’s over. Only one more to go.

I kinda think McCain’s a huge teabag.

Yeah, I know, kyle. I think he’s leaving himself wide open with that steady hand thing.

39. And Wolf is already saying that McCain has disdain for Obama. And Anderson is discussing that McCain still appeared disdainful.

40. terry says:

yeah only one more to go.

41. David Gergen is saying that there wasn’t much electricity. And it’s sounding that Gergen is giving the debate to Obama.

And Jeff Greenfield is saying “that one” will be the talk at the watercoolers tomorrow.

On CBS, I should say.

44. Damn it! and CNN is cutting all its live feeds. But before they did, all of their analysts score cards, across the board, appear to give the debate to Obama! Yet ANOTHER win for Obama!

45. Which one Kathy? I may not respond immediately as I pound out some immediate post game analysis.

Which one what?

NPR’s Mara Liason (sp?) is saying that both candidates resorted to stump speeches rather then answer questions. I think, though, the difference here is that Obama’s stump speeches actually have facts whereas McCain’s just full of teabags 24/7.

“That one” was how McCain referred to Obama when he was answering a question about energy. That’s what Greenfield was talking about.