Liveblogging the Vice Presidential Debate

Well, we are just an hour from the debate starting time, so it’s a good time to go ahead and get this shindig underway.

Remember, so long as you keep the profanity down to a minimum, and you aren’t a spammer, we welcome everyone to go ahead and join us.  All of the liveblogging takes place in the comments section.

203 Responses to “Liveblogging the Vice Presidential Debate”

1. Dynamic says:

Kyle: Yeah, I noticed that too. She flubbed it though. She’s no Reagan.

“maverick” — drink!

3. An appreciative teacher says:

If I never hear the word “MAVERICK” again, it will be too soon.

4. Is it me or is Palin really starting to sound like a broken record?

5. God, if I had to drink every time she said “maverick” I would be chucking right now, and my bruised liver can attest that I’m not exactly a light weight?

6. Jazz says:

hey guys! i am an avid reader of your blog and i love it. as for the debate is it me or did biden just choke up talking about raising his two sons….for me that was a defining moment.

7. Misty says:

Biden must feel the same way about the word “Maverick”

8. I think he’s baiting her on Roe v. Wade.

Broken record or not.. Even though most of the stuff she said has been wrong and stupid, I think the debate might be considered a victory for Palin simply because she was able to string sentences together. The expectations for her were set so low.

Yes, Jazz, he did choke up. He got it under control quickly, but it was visible. I thought it was very moving. That’s what my “Oh my” was about.

11. Dynamic says:

Palin caved by not vetoeing budgets?

12. Yeah, Jazz, and this thing has been moving so fast that I didn’t get to really point that out. You know, Palin brings up her family as rote Hockey Mom charm. Joe, did get choked up, and it was authentic.

13. Misty says:

I think showing the emotion was the best thing he could have done

YOU CAN’T APPOINT ANYBODY, YOU SACK OF TEABAGS!

15. She is really really trying to remind everyone that she’s a family woman

16. Wait…

Wait…

Wait…

17. Jazz says:

Palin may have scored a victory because the bar was set so low, but if there are any intelligent americans are left in this country they will hopefully see that she a broken record. She came across as robotic and trying too hard to connect a toss out her middle american status. Oh, and by the way I’m a woman with a kid with specail needs…incase you didnt know it McCain is a “maverick”!!!

18. She just said that she wants to build up the country’s infrastructure, but then she turned around and said that spending hurts the country.

How do you build up the infrastructure and not spend? Where does she think that money for building the infrastructure comes from?

19. HAHAHAHA…

great point Jazz.

In any case, I don’t think that this debate is anything so spectacular that it will fundamentally change the state of the race.

20. Well, that about wraps things up, what did you guys think?

21. Misty says:

Biden blew her out of the water if you talk facts and he did a great job of smiling everytime she laughed so he didn’t seem insensitive

22. Jazz says:

I think overall it was an ok debate…the real question of the debate is who more main street america Joe or Sarah. And if i had to choose I give it Joe!!!

23. I’ll agree with you on that one, Misty. I think a rigorous fact checking operation is going to go on tomorrow, and we’re going to see where that goes. I may go ahead and give it a crack tomorrow.

At least Palin was able to look at Biden. She was gracious at least.

25. Heh. Well, there aren’t going to be many here that disagree with you on that one Jazz. I think the question that has to be asked, because from my point, it just felt like Palin was trying too hard, but will the rest of America see it that way?

The rest of America better damn well see that way, Kyle. Doggoneit? What is this, the 50s? She’s like an aunt who’s tryng to be everyone’s friend at a family picnic.

27. Dynamic says:

Watching the after debate analysis, looks like the narrative that the Dems are running with is the “Palin didn’t differentiate from Bush at all” bit that Biden hammered her on a number of times… which I think is a great tactic to take.

28. Jazz says:

Kathy, she may have smiled and seemed gracious, but i felt all of her snarky comments a little off putting.

Oh, totally, Jazz. I can’t stand her manner. She’s so self-righteous. I really meant that comment as a bare minimum thing. McCain acted like a barbarian. That Palin did not is not so much a compliment to her as a reflection on McCain.

It really enraged me how she kept on talking about how cutting taxes would create jobs, when for the last 8 years we’ve had a president who kept taxes low for the wealthiest people, supposedly the ones who create jobs, and it hasn’t happened. It’s such a lie, it’s such a scam, that cutting taxes creates jobs — at least the way the Republicans do it.

31. My initial thoughts (and I’m going to put this in a post)

Palin did, for the most part, enough to at least give her spin team the chance to say “See? She’s competent.” But I don’t think that anyone can say she won on points. Nor did she always avoid the kind of embarrassing word jumbles she is prone to. On at least three separate instances (the first coming on the global warming issue), Palin delved into answers that were at times just outright bizarre. She also delivered at last a couple of outright lies straight up with Josh Marshall hitting one midstream. General McKiernan did agree that Surge principles will not work in Afghanistan, and his name is not McClellan.

Palin didn’t drool, and therefore I think she avoided causing a great implosion of the ticket, but I think she was still weak on substance, and she sounded like a talking point emitting robot more often than not. She tried numerous times to drive a wedge between Biden and Obama, but Biden was skillful in either dodging or correcting them. Also, it was clear that Palin was doing everything she could to win over Joe Sixpack, going so far as to even saying the phrase, “Joe Sixpack” once during the debate.

I’m not sure if Joe Sixpack would actually like that so much considering that that’s typically an inside baseball reference to low information voters, and not a very flattering one to boot.

I personally feel that Palin was simply trying too hard to connect with “Main Street,” but I could also be wrong.

For Biden’s part, I think he did exactly what he needed to do. His role in this campaign was not on trial, and the first and foremost goal for him was, as the hippocratic oath states, “First do no harm.”

He needed to avoid major gaffes, and he did. He needed to not be seen as a bully, and he accomplished that as well. He took the fight to McCain, and he refused to let Palin own the connection to regular Americans all by herself.

It was on that last point that I think Biden really soared. Towards the end, he made mention of his family, and how he knows what it’s like wondering if one of your kids was going to make it. He got choked up there, and that felt like the most honest part of the debate. That one moment could possibly turn out to be more endearing than any of Palin’s rehearsed mentions of being a hockey mom.

Palin seemed visibly shaken up after that moment as well.

From my view, I think Biden looked ready to take over from day one, and Palin looked like she was doing her best impression of someone who was ready to take over from day one. The big question is if the American people bought that impression or not.

32. Jazz says:

Well I certainly hope America Wakes UP!!!!! Any campagin that runs on any sembalance of having an education as being “Eliteist” does not need to be in office….we had 8yrs of Bush to make a case for the advocacy of education and thoughtfulness…

33. You know, I think one thing that tas kind of has me thinking, I think Palin needed to prove she was MORE than just a hockey mom, and I think she did everything to prove she wasn’t tonight.

I’m still dismayed that she didn’t give the same performance that Bush gave in the first 2004 debate, where a friend described how he looked like a “functional retard”.

Kyle, good analysis. I agree, every word.

36. here here, Jazz. That is one thing that I’m also really hoping for, incidentally, I’m still here for at least another twenty minutes, so if anyone wants to keep the party going.

You know, I think that’s something else too in this election, and I think the economy really kind of acted as smelling salts just when America seemed like it was going to fall into the same kind of sense of mediocrity. You got the feeling at the height of the Palin bump that, oh no, here we go again, America is going to be asking the “beer” question again.

But the chaos on Walls Street almost seemed like it grabbed people by the ears, shook em, and said, “Look, no more idiots, okay?! Actually pick someone who is going to use the gray stuff between the ears once in a while!”

37. tas: me too. All though, I think “Maverick,” may be the new “hard work”

38. Thank you kathy.

Oh, and, Marshall’s on the mofo:

I think all this debate does is that she isn’t going to be cut from the team now. It doesn’t help the McCain ticket win. Biden did too great for that to happen.

40. I think you’re absolutely right, Kathy. Man, I wish I had cable right now so I could see what the immediate after debate coverage is like.

41. Well, let me say this before too many people take off, I’m so happy that so many showed up for this, and I want to thank everyone for stopping in and contributing and really you all helped make this a great time.

42. Also, I just caught a clip of Andrea Mitchell talking to Tweety, and Tweety was going off on something about Israel, and I’m not sure if that was good for Palin, but I am pleased that Andrea Mitchell pointed out that Palin didn’t answer the questions.

43. Jazz says:

I live in NYC, my high school was two blocks from wall street and no one feels the heat of this economic crisis more so than myself and my fellow new yorkers. I have friends who have been laid off in the last week from their jobs due the issues on wall street. I myself and finding it really hard to find a job after moving back home because I was unhappy living in Minnesota. I want a President who undertsands my needs and who has the intelligence and common sense to try and get us out this crisis. I can’t even say I’ll go back to school because you know what the money isn’t there for that either. I really feel that under this administration I have no options to better myself in this declining economy.

Hey, Kyle. The host makes the party.:-)

45. ACK! And it’s feeling kind of lonely all of a sudden, so I’m going to sign off as well. Thank you again everyone and I hope everyone comes back again for the next presidential debate which I look forward to liveblogging!

46. An appreciative teacher says:

Kyle, thanks for having us (me, specifically)!

:-)

47. Oh hey…
    okay I’ll stay!

48. Jazz says:

Thank you Kyle, for providing a forum for people like myself where I know my veiws are shared. I always enjoy reading the post of everyone on CFLF. See you all at the next debate.