Can You Say, Mixed Message? (Updated With Video)

I saw this on Rachel Maddow last night (where the video was sanitized so it wouldn’t be quite so gruesome to watch), but now it’s all over blogtopia: Gov. Sarah Palin went to a local turkey slaughtering house, picked one turkey to “pardon,” and then stood in front of the place answering a reporter’s questions for about three minutes… while turkeys were being slaughtered in clear view of the television audience over her shoulder. When asked whether she wanted that scene as a backdrop, she replied, “No worries.”

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N22l3cmNksk

ed: I decided to throw in the video.  My wife showed it to me last night and my one thought was, ‘Oblivious.’

-K

18 Responses to “Can You Say, Mixed Message? (Updated With Video)”

1. myiq2xu says:

My one thought was “reality”

City folk are funny.

I’m glad you did. I felt too queasy to put it in.

Everybody knows what the reality is, myiq2xu. But you have to admit it’s a little weird to “pardon” one turkey, for the cameras, while turkey carnage on all the other birds is going on over your shoulder, for the cameras.

Palin: The gift to the media that just keeps on giving. I really hope this nitwit becomes the standard bearer of the Republican party for years to come.

5. Paul says:

I nearly fell off my chair. That was easily one of the funniest interviews I’ve ever seen… I actually didn’t pay any attention whatsoever to what she was saying. I was fixated on the guy grinding the turkey… er, that’s what I think he was doing anyway.

6. Craig says:

That is actually pretty funny (except for all the animal rights activists, who aren’t as plentiful in Alaska). I’m assuming this was a local tv report, where the reality of “how food actually gets to your table” isn’t as mindblowing as it is for the urban dweller.

Still……Comedy Central can do a riff on it, but they’ll never be able to improve on it!

Craig and myiq, you don’t understand the controversy here. Slaughtering animals isn’t “mindblowing”. It’s not something we’ve never heard of. The majority of commenters here are on the left; I bet half of us have read “Fast Food Nation” ferchristsake. None of us have seen this interview and then had this fantastic revelation of “Oh, this is what happens to meat before it hits my tummy!” We’re not fucking naive.

This is an issue a tact — something that Palin, and apparently the both of you, don’t have. There are plenty of places where Palin could have done this interview. Hell, she could have turned around and done the interview in the same spot where she was standing! Though, I imagine, having turkeys slaughtered in front of her might make her feel.. Well, feel like the rest of us normal folk. Ironic, that.

But since you seem to love the video so much, set your laptop up on the dinner table next Thursday and put it on repeat. Make sure to turn up the volume really loud to hear those turkeys screaming as you gobble them down. That shit’s better than football! I’m sure your whole family will value the politeness of the display, too.

8. Craig says:

Geez relax. I see pre-election anger has been replaced by post-election anger. For someone who enjoys some good snarking, you seem to bruise easily. I already acknowledged the weirdness of the setting and its gruesome humor. This is more of a comment on the different perspectives of rural-oriented people versus urbanites, than it is of some left/right thing.

When John Stewart does his take on this clip, I assume you’ll be just as outraged at his insensitivities toward turkey genocide?

Politicians, being people and all, are going to do dumb things. Is this breaking news? At least Sarah can’t affect your life anymore. The tougher part for all may be to learn to laugh at the person who actually IS one heartbeat from the presidency, Joe “Jobs is a three-letter word” Biden.

So tact is not a perspective familiar to “rural-oriented people”?

10. Craig says:

The whole scenario certainly makes more sense now that a Palin spokesperson is stating that the activity behind her was not going on when they were setting up the shot. The cameraman wouldn’t stop filming at that angle when requested to by a staffer. Why the staffer(s) didn’t just stop the interview and relocate is a legit question, though.

Even though this was set-up as a small potatoes media event for the Alaskian population, Plain’s staff needs to become a lot sharper about her image, given her new-found status, and how it will be seen (or spun) by those outside of her prior audience. Pre-election, the State-wide viewership would have mostly not even raised an eyebrow or even paid attention to this goofy annual media event. It’s a different world now.

The hachet man behind the scenes seemed to spend most of the time just waiting for the interview to end before really getting back to serious business, as it were. Perhaps he had more tact than the cameraman, and better judgement than the timid staffer.

Of course, this explanation won’t be accepted as even plausible by those who want nothing but a “Sarah is stoopid” narrative to drive endlessly.

Once again: the election is over….she’s governing Alaska…….big recession/depression for us to deal with…….move on.

11. Craig says:

I didn’t catch this until after my post above, but I believe that the infamous video is actually just an unedited version of KTUU’s recording of the interview. Somehow this raw version got released for all to see. The postings of the actual news reports I’ve seen on the local Alaska news sites either show no angle that includes the process going on behind Palin, or it shows fleeting glimpses.

If someone knows differently, they can correct me.

12. movie fan says:

this interview is a subtle scare-tactic… a subliminal warning to all who oppose Sarah Palin’s bid for presidency in 2012

Craig, it’s the opposite. The *cameraman* asked *Palin* if she wanted the turkey-killing to be the backdrop for the interview, and she said “NO WORRIES.” At one point, she even appears to look behind her at the guy who’s grinding the turkeys, who’s looking at her. Now, after the bad publicity, she’s saying she didn’t know what was going on the background. *She is lying.* Come ON, Craig. Use your common sense, if you have it. How could Palin possibly NOT have known what was going on behind her? What did she think those contraptions were behind her? Giant ice cream cones? And the screaming from the turkeys and the sound of the machines grinding? What did she think that was?

14. Craig says:

Whatever Kathy, You want to see the absolute worst of Palin in everything. Where does it say that the cameraman asked her if she wanted to actually show the guy killing the turkeys behind her? Its more logical, without specific visual evidence, that he was talking about the backdrop of the turkey house and that bloody trough with the cones attached.

Common sense works both ways.

Once again, this was also just the raw, edited footage that was taken. The actually news reports aired over Alaskan TV were edited with little or no views of the guy behind her.

Can’t say that I hear any screaming or grinding going on either (that doesn’t sound right, does it).

I love the repeated use of the word “grinder” in all these stories. The device is actually just a metal cone in which the turkey’s throat is slit and it bleeds out.

Here, by the way, is a turkey grinder. Quite good.

Turkey Grinder
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon dill, minced
    dash of cayenne
    Spread 8 slices French bread with mixture.
    12 to 16 thin slices turkey breast
    4 ounces Havarti cheese
    1 cup shredded lettuce
    1 tart apple sliced
    Salt and pepper

15. Craig says:

I meant to type “raw, unedited” in regard to the footage.

Oh! Is that all it is? I didn’t know. That makes it so much less horrifying, Craig.

You want to see the absolute worst of Palin in everything.

No, Craig, Palin is determined to show me and the rest of America the absolute worst of her. She does the stupid, ignorant, dishonest, cruel, and uninformed stuff that she does. I have eyes and ears to see it and hear it, and then I write about it.

No one is inventing or making up these things Palin does and says. She’s doing them and saying them. There really are only two choices: You can acknowledge the reality of what is right in front of your eyes, or you can deny it. I’m doing the first.

17. Craig says:

Your opinion is your opinion regarding this story. And mine is mine. Discussion of these opinions appears pointless.

Have a good Thanksgiving.

Craig,

These are the two points on which I am prepared to agree with you. The second point being your happy Thanksgiving wish.