Forbes Lists “25 Most Influential Liberals” in U.S. Media

4. Thomas Friedman
  5. Jon Stewart
  6. Oprah Winfrey
  7. Rachel Maddow
  8. Josh Marshall
  9. David Shipley
  10. Markos Moulitsas Zuniga (Kos)
  11. Fareed Zakaria
  20. Gerald Seib
  21. James Fallows
  22. Ezra Klein
  23. Kevin Drum
  24. Kurt Andersen
  25. Michael Pollan

About half of these belong on the list. The rest, either I don’t enough about them to say one way or the other, or they clearly don’t belong on the list, and someone put something funny in the Forbes editors’ coffee.

8 Responses to “Forbes Lists “25 Most Influential Liberals” in U.S. Media”

Where’s Frank Rich? And Erza Klein is on the list? Come on.. He’s a nice guy, but let’s ask basic questions like “Has he authored a book?” Answer: no. Whereas somebody like Matt Taibbi, who’s wrote 3 books and writes for a magazine that’s more famous and has larger publication, is omitted? And Forbes published this list?

And uh, Thomas Friedman is in the top 5 list of “liberals”? No comment there.

3. I’m just going to make the obligatory, “Sully isn’t actually a liberal” comment. Someone was going to say it anyway.

Ezra Klein belongs on the list, imo. He’s solidly liberal and he’s a go-to guy on health care policy. He’s definitely influential.

Thomas Friedman does NOT belong on the list. No way, no how. He supported the Iraq war, he’s extremely hawkish on Israel, very pro-corporate globalization, and that’s just scratching the surface. Friedman is not a liberal.

As to Sully, I think he IS a liberal. He just continues to refuse to define himself that way. Whatever, if he self-identifies as a conservative, who am I to argue, but I have no problem with him being called one of the 25 most influential liberals in the media. His leadership on the torture issue is indisputable.

I agree that Frank Rich would have been a great choice for the list. I don’t know enough about Matt Taibbi to give an opinion on him. But when you consider that at least four of the names on that list have absolutely no business being there (in addition to Friedman, Fred Hiatt, Christopher Hitchens, Chris Matthews, and Maureen Dowd are NOT liberals, much less influential ones — Matthews is an opportunist who goes whichever way the wind blows), there would have been plenty of room for candidates like Rich and Taibbi.

5. Russell says:

Hi. A bit cheeky but I identified your blog as a possible source of good comment on a post I did called “GDP Plummets” as there are particularly interesting issues just now about plummeting Gross Domestic/National Product figures and environmental concerns. If you are so minded, please leave a comment. This is set to go wider. All the best.

6. radical_Moderate says:

Some of these people I’ve never heard of, but I agree that Hitchens shouldn’t be on this list or Friedman for sure. I am glad to see Greenwald and Moyers, but Rachel Maddow and no Olbermann? I’d put Bill Maher on the list.

Hey, radical_Moderate, I had that same thought about Olbermann. And it’s not as if they were shy about picking more than one media person from the same source, because Chris Matthews is on the list, and there is certainly more justification for putting Olbermann on the list than Matthews.

8. Dynamic says:

Not to beat a dead horse, but Tom Friedman? Really? Have they actually read anything he’s written, ever?

Any such list is pretty subjective, so it’s hard to debate who was unfairly excluded, but it’s really not hard to debate who’s actually a liberal.