BREAKING: Dr. George Tiller Assassinated

Oh, fuck:

George Tiller, the Wichita doctor who became a national lightning rod in the debate over abortion, was shot to death this morning as he walked into church services.

Tiller was shot just after 10 a.m. at Reformation Lutheran Church at 7601 E. 13th, where he was a member of the congregation. An anonymous police source confirmed Tiller was the victim.

NOW do all the pearl-clutching conservative bloggers get why that fauxtroversial DHS report on far-right activity was so goddamn pertinent?! As GallingGalla just said on Twitter, “forced-birthers are TERRORISTS on US soil.” This latest killing of a health care provider, martyred for daring to provide women with a vital medical service (in the same week that, here in Canada, the Ontario Provincial Police decided to let another anti-choice assassin evade accountability), only reinforces that all-too-clear fact.

Seriously, this is supposed to be an expression of ‘pro-life’ sentiment?! Look, Operation Rescue can offer hollow denunciations all they like. They are still morally complicit and should rightfully be held accountable for their inflammatory rhetoric and tactics.

Fuck them and their deadly, pro-natalist fanaticism.

h/t Atrios

(updates below the fold)

Update: Via Ann Friedman, Cara writes at Feministe:

This is the first time an abortion provider has been murdered in over a decade. I have friends who work in abortion clinics. This is terrorism. And right now, I just don’t have the words.

As my bastard.logic co-blogger (and Wichita resident) Sassywho just said over IM,

[Tiller] was a prisoner to [Operation Rescue’s] tactics. And because “abortion is a divisive issue,” he wasn’t protected. I just fucking hope (!) that Obama gets that fucking message how framing it as such opens windows.

Sebelius better make sure he gets that fucking message.
Also, what Ann said:
I am also worried about what Tiller’s murder means for women in Kansas and elsewhere in the country who need the services that he provided. The simple fact is there are almost no doctors who provide late-term abortions, especially in rural parts of the country. I was in Nebraska several years ago to interview Dr. Leroy Carhart (whose challenges to abortion-restricting laws went all the way to the Supreme Court), and Carhart and Tiller were the only two late-term providers in their region. If one wanted to go on vacation or got sick, the other had to fill in. There was no one else. Perhaps it would be a fitting memorial to Dr. Tiller to contribute to Medical Students for Choice, and encourage more doctors with a deep commitment to reproductive rights to become abortion providers.
Signed. Off.

Update 2: Via Sylvia, KC Star columnist/blogger Mike Hendricks effing nails it:

At mid-day, police were still trying to figure out who pulled the trigger of the gun that killed Wichita abortion doctor George Tiller at his church on Sunday morning.

I’m betting they’ll find that person soon enough.

As for the murderer’s accomplices, we know them already.

They include every one who has ever called Tiller’s late term abortion clinic a murder mill.

Who ever called Tiller “Tiller the Killer.”

The groups who spent decades fomenting hate toward a man who simply believed that he was serving a purpose by being one of the few doctors in the country performing late-term abortions.

Hate. Not heated opposition. Not strong disagreement.

But blind hatred.

The kind of hate that would prompt some maniac to take a  gun into a church and shoot a man to death in front of friends and family.

The kind of hate that is on full display over in Freeperville (h/t AJ Strata, a right-of-centre individual who can smell the fucking coffee.)

Update 3: Police capture suspect in Tiller murder:

Police are not releasing the name of the suspect, but numerous media sources are reporting that a man named Scott Roeder has been arrested in connection with the crime

In addition to the links provided @ DKos, a quick google search brought forth this additional gem:

Roeder Cap

Lovely.

Update 4:  Must-read posts from Antonia & dbO.

27 Responses to “BREAKING: Dr. George Tiller Assassinated”

Semper Fi:

Go over to Free Republic if you want to post celebrations of murder like that. I won’t allow it here.

2. Phillip Abbott says:

I met with Dr. Tiller several years ago as he scheduled a late-term abortion for my wife. I cannot think of a nicer, more thoughtful health care professional. I always admired him and salute him for his courage in performing a controversial task. He will be missed.

3. libhomo says:

The anti choice movement has been deliberately inciting these acts of terrorism by lying and saying that abortion involves the taking of human lives. They know they have a few nutjobs who will become unhinged by these lies, and that is exactly their intention.

4. Deb says:

Libhomo’s above statement is simply not true. Most people who are pro-life aren’t even part of an “anti-choice” group of any kind. And pro-life groups who are active in their cause have an intent of peace and truth. The “nutjobs” are just that; poor unfortunate souls who have a disconnect.

Deb, if that’s true, how do you explain the fact that I had to delete a comment that lauded Tiller’s murder, and how do you explain the fact that even two of the comments that are posted here right now (actually one is not a comment, it’s an entire article posted as a comment) are making excuses for the murder of Dr. Tiller?

6. truth says:

knowbody knows why he was murdered yet !
    so much anger.

7. J Richards says:

The suspect was arrested and had a rose in his car, supposedly the symbol for the “pro-life” movement in Kansas. He also had a post-it note with the phone number of Operation Rescue. See story at KMBC-TV Kansas (http://www.kmbc.com/video/19617187/index.html). The suspect is a 51 year old male. Anyone who is against abortion should seek to prevent it by persuasion and not violence. In a democracy one cannot impose one’s religious belief on others through threats and intimidation. Persuasion is the only legal and legitimate way.

8. Carol says:

I am Pro-life and for a woman’s right to choose. NO one has the right in this country to decide if a woman has to carry a child to term except the mother and the father of that child. It is not an easy decision to make and I would not judge why anyone has to seek an abortion of any kind. If the right wing nutz and the incitors of hateful speech want to prevent abortions then get ready to shell out some money for addressing many of the social issues that spawn the necessity of this procedure. Let’s start a series of homes for unwed Mothers or women who do not choose to keep their fetus or baby and lets pay the costs for the pregnancy for the mother, prenatal care and housing if necessary, and once those babies are born let’s place them with parents or support them totally until they are of age if they are not adoptable. Many children born with handicaps are often institutionalized or farmed out to foster care, because most couple are wanting normal, healthy babies. . If you really have a principle about defending life, I challenge all of you out there, to put your money where you mouth is. Killing providers of abortions or suggesting they are like Nazis and should be killed is not the answer…and Jesus wept.

9. breath to breath says:

Jesus stated “He without sin among you let him cast the first stone at her.” Some religious still stone raped women & own women. Who should own them as a slave? Exodus describes no penalty for women who choose to terminate pregnancy, nor does any Bible verse.

Do you want the government to outlaw your right to your bodily functions and quality care? I hope your loved ones are not turned away from quality doctor care. One of mine was. She was luckier than others and survived a nonprofessional abortion.

Medically, a fetus becomes a baby at its first breath. Then, siblings recognize it & it’s named, christened, given citizenship, & celebrates zero. Unless you’re a surrogate, the only way to give rights to unborn is to take away women’s.

My mom, aunt, school teachers and even my community’s church women thank centrists for allowing women the right to their own personal body. Thank you centrists for allowing reproductive freedom rather than forcing women to create newborns or abort their pregnancies. Women value reproductive freedom, knowledge, privacy, and the right to privately regulate our own bodily functions.

10. Beatrice Rose Casini says:

I was alerted to Dr. Tillers heartbreaking death by a Planned Parenthood email. I have never had an abortion precisely because I had a wonderful mother who, though she would not choose abortion for herself, believes in the right of women to own their own bodies in every way. She raised me to have respect for myself and others, to communicate and not to shy away from knowledge about human physicality and so I was able to be intelligently sexually active and responsible throughout my life. I now am a decade married to a wonderful man, have treated my body well and am hoping very much to be able to have a child, but I am concerned for the health of the fetus as I am in my later thirties. I am diminished as are all other women like me by Dr. Tiller’s untimely death as we have lost an ally for the unknown circumstances we face. I praise his bravery in the face of distressing daily protests that dogged his life as he diligently provided compassionate care for all the women who needed his help. We all hope we’ll be able to provide the best for our children at the outset or that they will be healthy, but that isn’t always the case. Here was a man willing to stand up for women when hope gives way to harsh reality. He used his intelligence, empathy and sense of spirit to do a hard, necessary job in the most graceful way he could. May many doctors be inspired by this committment and not abandon women to religio-political ideals rooted in the past that primatise their status as second-tier chattel.

I am Pro-life and for a woman’s right to choose.

Hear, hear!

12. Julia says:

Yes, please, calm it the hell down. You don’t know the whole story, and even when you do, the only people who should be held responsible are the ones who committed the murder. He was killed in his church for goodness sakes. His fellow church-goers tried to ward off the attacker. The way you’re making it sound, the church-goers should have opened the doors for the killer and then had a mass after to celebrate his death. Simply because the suspect is pro-life and possibly Christian, it does not mean that all Christians are carrying guns in their Bibles, ready to shoot pro-choicers. You do know there are extremists in every group, right? Get an effing clue and stop chatting in stereotypes.

Kathy, I took care of Derrick’s last comment under the context of its personal attack against you. Perhaps my trigger finger was itchy and I should have let you see it and decide; I apologize for that. I assure you it wasn’t anything substantive, though.

14. Derrick says:

Oh good grief! What was the personal attack?

tas,

You must have done that before I saw the comment, because I don’t remember it, or even recognize the name Derrick (although I see he has another comment now, but that’s the only one I’ve seen). And no need to apologize; I trust your judgment. Besides, I did the same thing on mattt’s breaking post about the Tiller murder. I deleted the “just a very late-term abortion” comment.

There’s plenty of other blogs where death gloats will fly, Sylvia — this isn’t one of them.

You, too, duane.

18. Blaine Martin says:

I think tiller was a murderer, it says in the Bible, He knew us before we were in the womb. tiller killed thousands of babies, whoes to say one of those babies couldn’t have been able to cure cancer, or aids, or another type of DEADLY disease. Those babies (fetise) never had a chance in the world because of Dr. Tiller. I think abortion is MURDER, therefore tiller Was a MURDERER.

19. Derrick says:

Well said, Blaine…at least your remarks got posted. Mine were deleted for merely making the same point. They claim that I was celebrating murder, which is totally false. I don’t celebrate anyone’s murder….not Tiller’s, nor the ones he committed.

No Derrick, your remarks were deleted because your were being an asshole who made a personal attack.

21. Derrick says:

And I guess calling me a complimentary name like that is not a personal attack? So I’ll ask you again, Tas, since it was YOU who claims I made an attack against Kathy….What was my personal attack against her? You won’t post it because there wasn’t one, and you know it. Tell the truth.

Derrick, if you’re being an asshole then I’ll call you an asshole. I’m sorry if you feel like this is an attack, but if you really felt bad about it, you could at least make an effort to stop acting like an asshole. Duh.

23. Derrick says:

You’re brilliant, Tas….I ask you to show the personal attack you accuse me of, and because there wasn’t one, you call me names for asking you to tell the truth. Kind of childish, don’t you think? Of course, I could call you the same thing for your false accusation which you still cannot back up, but I would prefer to keep this on an adult level if possible.

Is this typical liberal mindset here? My original post merely pointed out the same thing that Blaine’s post did, and Kathy deletes it, calling it a celebration of murder, despite the fact that I denouced the murderous act. So when I ask Kathy to “tell the truth”, you delete that because I was personally attacking her. Then, when I ask you where I attacked her, instead of replying with the actual attack, you come up with the mature, and brilliant response of calling me an “a..hole”.

Pathetic. So where is all the tolerance for various views that liberals are always whining about?

Derrick, I deleted quite a few comments that day. You’re asking me to remember specific deatils of your comment. I don’t. You’re not that special.

If you don’t like this blog, Derrick, then don’t come here. Nobody is forcing your to. Of course, I realize that trolls have an enlarged sense of entitlement, where they believe they are owed “respect” and “tolerance” no matter what kind of crap spews out of their mouth, but really.. Grow up. Take a hint. If you’re going to come on here mere hours after a man has been shot to death and start berating members of a liberal blog about their views, then expect to be taken seriously, you’ve got another thing coming. I have tolerance for intelligent views, not childish ones like yours.

If you don’t like that, leave. You’re certainly no loss to us.

Derrick, I deleted quite a few comments that day. You’re asking me to remember your specific comment. I don’t. You’re not that special.

If you don’t like this blog, Derrick, then don’t come here. Nobody is forcing you to. Of course, I realize that trolls have an enlarged sense of entitlement, where they believe they are owed “respect” and “tolerance” no matter what kind of crap spews out of their mouth, but really.. Grow up. Take a hint. If you’re going to come on here mere hours after a man has been shot to death and start berating members of a liberal blog about their views, then expect to be taken seriously, you’ve got another thing coming. I have tolerance for intelligent views, not childish ones like yours.

If you don’t like that, leave. You’re certainly no loss to us.

26. Derrick says:

Excuse me, Tas, but you’re not one to get the facts straight are you? First off, I did NOT berate anyone about their views mere hours after a man is shot. So this is false also. I simply gave my view, and it was censered by this Kathy person because it wasn’t HER view. And by not letting my comment post, she could claim anything she wanted to, like telling me that I was “celebrating murder”. I have never celebrated or been happy about anyone’s murder…not even Tiller’s. What I stated, however, was fact. And Kathy didn’t like it. And when I ask her to merely tell the truth, you call that a “personal attack”.

Really now, Tas….if that makes me a troll and an a..hole in your world, then so be it. But not in the real world. Sorry.

And I can certainly understand why you may not remember every comment you have deleted, as I am sure you all have little tolerance for those who think Tiller was a murderer himself, and probably delete a lot of comments to this effect. That is fine. But really now….you SHOULD remember what a person said if you are going to go so far as to tell them they are an a..hole, now shouldn’t you?

And I’ll leave when I want to. If you don’t like opposing views here, then shut it down. Its no loss to conservatives either.

Good day, Tas.

27. R.I.P. Dr Geoge Miller says:

Some people who support abortion were fooled by the pro abortion fallacy that a fertilized egg is not a child…. nor is an undifferentiated mass of cells but this is a lie. If not a child what ? Each one of us reading and submitting comments were once a tiny collection of cells in a womb. Are we not glad we were allowed to live?
    I pray for the Tiller family ;it is awful to lose a loved one through an act of violence and I also pray for Scott Roeder who sadly like Dr Tiller resorted to violence as a solution Abortion is never a solution for anyone It is always a death sentence for the baby and a life sentence for the poor mother A deliberate decision to abort goes totally against the natural instincts of a woman to nurture and protect and it is very damaging to the body heart and mind of any poor soul who endures such an experience.If we really care about women’s health we can neither condone allow or encourage abortion.There are some things in life which are simply wrong Both slavery and abortion treat a human being as if it is a disposable asset. The child in the womb is not the property of the mother nor is it the property of the father It is a new citizen with rights that should be upheld and respected in Law. “

1. Suspect arrested in connection with slaying of abortion provider … - Kansas City Star | Quick Find Breaking News Live! - [...] BREAKING: Dr. George Tiller Assassinated | Comments from Left Field [...]
  2. PoliGazette » Abortion Doctor Murdered - [...] prevented the liberal blogosphere from once again using such a tragedy as a tool with which to try to…