The Republican Party’s Death Wish

The new Gallup poll showing that the GOP is losing ground among all but three population groups is creating a big stir on Memeorandum.

Here is the opening paragraph:

The decline in Republican Party affiliation among Americans in recent years is well documented, but a Gallup analysis now shows that this movement away from the GOP has occurred among nearly every major demographic subgroup. Since the first year of George W. Bush’s presidency in 2001, the Republican Party has maintained its support only among frequent churchgoers, with conservatives and senior citizens showing minimal decline.

Here is the chart breaking down the decline by subgroup:

tsv7ekhtmkmkzrt5kcyt_g

Michael Steele responds to the news that the GOP’s hardcore conservative base is the only subgroup that is not abandoning the party in droves with an op-ed in The Politico that puts forth a brave and bold new vision: “tell” Americans why they really do want the same old Republican ideology that they rejected on November 4:

This has been an important debate within the Republican Party, particularly because of the place in history America currently finds itself. Last year the Democrats told voters they would bring “change” to Washington, but their version of change has been to push America to the left farther and faster than I think anyone could have imagined.

That is why I believe America needs the Republican Party now more than ever before. We may be America’s minority party at the moment, but Republicans represent the views and concerns of a majority of Americans. Republicans across America – from our national and state leaders down to our local activists and grassroots supporters – have to get about the business of telling families how Republican principles of less spending, lower taxes, responsive and responsible government, personal freedom and strong national defense stand in stark contrast to the reckless policies we’ve seen from the president and Congressional Democrats in four short months.

“To accomplish this goal,” Steele tells us, “Republicans are turning a corner in three important ways.” (Emphasis mine.)

First, the Republican Party will be forward-looking – it is time to stop looking backward. Republicans have spent ample time re-examining the past. It has been a healthy and necessary task. But I believe it is now time for Republicans to focus all of our energies on winning the future by emerging as the party of new ideas. [This is what the Great Gipper would want us to do.]

Second, the Republican Party will not shy away from voicing our opposition to the president’s policies. His honeymoon is over. … [Wait.... There was a honeymoon?]
[...]
Third, the Republican Party will seize upon momentum
for a GOP resurgence that is already under way in states and local communities. I have traveled extensively since being elected RNC chairman, meeting with state party leaders and grassroots activists alike. There is genuine enthusiasm for a Republican balance to the reckless excesses of the president and congressional Democrats. … [State party leaders and "grassroots activists" ... ohhh! You mean the base, right?]

Waist-deep in the Big Muddy….

12 Responses to “The Republican Party’s Death Wish”

1. Chief says:

Guess I must be an old fogie for ‘memberin Pete Seeger and Dick and Tommie Smothers. I remember seeing Seeger perform the song. I sure hope the GOP keeps marching into way deeper water.

• Nike says:

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writnig this website. I am hoping the same high-grade blog post from you in the upcoming also. Actually your creative writnig abilities has inspired me to get my own web site now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings fast. Your write up is a great example of it.

I remember seeing Seeger at one of the anti-war gatherings during the Vietnam War. My father and brother were there with me, and he was *right in front of us.* Just by sheer chance. My father reached out and touched him lightly on the shoulder — not to get his attention, just to make sure he was actually real, in the flesh. :-)

Wonderful memory. :-)

3. Booogie-Mann says:

Sure, lots of people have left the Republican Party but contrary to your assertion they are not becoming Democrats, they are registering Independent. If you think more Americans are embracing Liberalism, San Francisco Values and Nancy Pelosi you are only fooling yourself.

Boogie-Mann,

If you think you can read the words in front of your eyes, you are definitely only fooling yourself.

• Deepanshu says:

After study a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your way of blngoigg. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.

5. Booogie-Mann says:

More people identify themselves as Conservative vs the Liberal label … I’m not denying that folks are leaving the GOP, a few trickled over as registered Democrats … but most have singed up as Independents like myself.

Even the Gallup Poll you linked to shows this, just not the image copied over.

but most have singed up as Independents like myself.

And you’re arguing this point with me, why?

7. Booogie-Mann says:

Because your implication via this and other posts is that the GOP is dead and that Democrats are gaining this lost support. Seems more and more people are disgusted with BOTH parties and switching to Independent. There are more Independent Registered voters now that at any time over the past 70 years. If the GOP ever gets any balls, fiscally Conservative people will flock back.

You guys spend a lot of time ripping individual Republicans and the GOP as a whole while tons of other important issues are playing out all around us. I guess it’s your prerogative to ignore any non-GOP bashing issues at CFLF, just seems we all lose out though by not addressing other issues whether Pro or Con Obama’s policy.

• Kone says:

Excellent website you have here but I was wtnniag to know if you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics discussed in this article? I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get comments from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Appreciate it!

The “implication” to which you refer is not in my post. I did not imply — much less assert, as you wrote in your first comment — anything about what party or political affiliation former Republicans were going to. I did not assert or imply any such thing in this post, nor did I do so in any other post, although other posts are irrelevant anyway since this post is the one your comments here are addressed to.

9. Booogie-Mann says:

Whatever,so what was the purpose of your post … we’ll have to disagree …. but without all the insults and foolishness leveled by the likes of tas …