Atlas Shirked

So, I am pretty new to this blogosphere business,  and when I saw the story on Atlas Shrugs about how Paypal did not want to do business with them, I first thought, thats terrible.  I then went and read the website, and was terribly offended in ways that I did not know was really possible.   To say Pamela Geller is a bigot would be an understatement.   Here is just a sample of the bat shit loco stuff coming out of her mouth about why there should not be a mosque put up near the grounds of the world trade center

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbUxcgrgUnE&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Now, there aren’t many other sites of comparable emotional significance in the US, specifically sites where the US was attacked by a foreign entity.  In fact, I could only think of one: Pearl Harbor.  If a Japanese American group wanted to build a Japanese cultural center nearby as a symbol of Japanese American patriotism, would she be equally opposed?  But, even with all that raw bigotry, I was still offended by Paypal, especially after I found out how Paypal was used on the site Revolution Muslim, the Islamic equivalent of Atlas Shrugs.  But then I did  what I normally do before I get in trouble.  I thought about it.

And then I wasn’t so offended.  Now, this might sound a bit hypocritical after saying I disagreed with the YouTube decision from earlier today, however there is a difference.  In the case of YouTube, a third party threatened YouTube with what would be effectively a frivolous law suit knowing the mechanisms by which YouTube works (puts the onus on the poster).  That was not a concious editorial choice by YouTube, but YouTube responding to what amounted to be a legal cudgel.  Paypal on the other hand is a private company, and should have the choice to deal with who they want as long as they are not discriminating based on race, religion, and creed.  I ask my friends on the right reading this, do you really want to go down the road where a business cannot descriminate based on ideology? Should a Jewish deli be forced to serve a holocaust denier (not that I am suggesting Pamela Geller is as bad as one)?

Ya it sucks for Atlas Shrugs that they will need to find a new way of taking in money, but in a support of fairness, I will write a letter of complaint to paypal requesting that they stop doing business with Revolution Muslim.  And hey, if paypal does that, that would be the definition of what I call a win-win, and by that I mean, I win, I win

7 Responses to “Atlas Shirked”

1. DevilsAdvocate says:

I am thinking of starting a campaign to get your PayPal button yanked, as I see some things on your site that I consider hateful.

2. Everett says:

Two things are certain:
    1. One week from now, Revolution Muslim will still be accepting PayPal payments.
    2. By then, you will have lost interest in the issue.

3. Kyle says:

Stupid invisible hand, you’re not supposed to work against the people that really believe in you.

4. Personally I see Pay Pal as an apolitical service like a bank or credit card company. My credit card company or bank does not have the right to pull my account because they don’t like my opinions. If I pay the bills or keep the minimum amount in my account I get one. Period.

Pay Pal offers a unique service for web based commerce, I do not want them to turn around tomorrow and decide that they don’t like my opinion thus blocking me from purchasing the latest gadget from Ebay.

Sorry but they are on the wrong side of this argument.

5. TheMadKing says:

Atlas Shrugs is NOT the equivalent of Revolution Muslim! Has Atlas Shrugs threatened to burn Muslims, or pour drain cleaner down their throats? Has the site sent veiled death threats to Comedy Central over the proposed JC show? Has Atlas Shrugs vowed violent revenge for Everybody Draw Jesus Day? This is lefty equivocation of the worst order, comparing a website that reports on violent Islamist extremist activities to the Islamist extremists themselves!

First they came for Pamela, Dave. Who next? Me, for supporting her? The Tea Parties, who have also been accused of vague hate speech and fringe domestic terrorism? FYI the First Amendment gives us the right to offend, because someone somewhere will always be offended by something somebody says. I’m offended by what you say. Should I squeeze PayPal to cut you off too? Where does this PC insanity end? Financing a house? Getting a loan? Applying for government assistance? Getting a job? Where does it stop?

6. David Katz says:

This may be shocking, but I have a very libertarian twist. I believe that it is the right of private enterprise to do what they want within reason. If this were a government or legal action against her I would be standing at the front of the line protesting it, but its not, it a private company who will have to face the reproductions if there is a movement to boycott them. They have the right to choose who they do business with. That said, I do think they are stepping outside of their role as money movers and moving into the editorial realm, as mike said above, but that is their right.
    Further more using the Martin Niemöller poem reference is both inappropriate and offensive. They came for refers to a government coming to take people away, not a business not wanting to deal with someone. If ‘they’ ever do come for Pamela Geller, I will totally put on my camo gear, grab my bow (I live in urban Canada so have absolutely no reason to own a gun) and head (south) to the hills to fight the revolution. However, I cant imagine that day coming anytime soon.

7. tastroll says:

Ahem.

“PayPal will judiciously disallow organizations that promote or glorify hatred, violence, or racial intolerance (such as the KKK, Nazis, neo-Nazis, and Aryan Nation), from using PayPal to accept payments. Furthermore, such organizations may not be listed in PayPal Shops, nor may any website listed in PayPal Shops advertise or support such organizations.”

“PayPal may also, in its discretion and out of respect for the families of murder victims, prohibit the use of PayPal to sell items closely associated with individuals notorious for committing murderous acts within the last 100 years, such as personal belongings of criminals, letters or artwork created by such criminals, or novelty items that bear the name or image of the criminal.”

Pay Pal has made their stance quite clear. Pamela should take Pay Pal’s actions more as a wake up call instead of an injustice, since years of evidence provided by her blogging shows that she’s clearly mentally unbalanced and in need of help.

Yes, I’m serious.

1. Farewell Paypal, until you fix this problem | Political Byline - [...] YID With LID, AmSpecBlog, Outside the Beltway, Gates of Vienna, Pajamas Media, Comments from Left Field, alicublog, The Jawa…